Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

G-Code Toolpath Verification As A Service?

The siemens lathes we have, have a combined rapid/feed switch.

So for proving out you could be at say 50 or 60% feed which then jumped straight to 50% rapid...

Luckily it's siemens and every click of the dial can be changed, so we now have:-

<70% feed 5% rapid

85% feed 10% rapid

90% feed 25% rapid

95% feed 50% rapid

100% feed 100% rapid

It maybe worth looking to see if you can do something similar?

We just go in and change the rapid parameter, then when it's all proved out, we crank it back up to max.

Joe, what model lathe is it?

All Okuma lathes, as far back as the OSP2200 (that is as far back as I go), utilised the Feedrate override switch as a rapid override while in single block mode. Both our Okuma 2 axis lathes (LB15/OSP7000L and LB400/U100L) function that way.

Our Okuma HMC will clip corners if I have it at full rapid. Our Okuma lathes will clip corners if I have it at full rapid. Out Citizen swiss', our Daewoo VMCs, etc. will clip corners if you have it at full rapid. Absolutely none of these clips will show up in Mastercam. The acc/dec curve can't be compensated for in MC since it's directly related to how fast you go: the faster the rapid, the bigger the curve. Adjusting the acc/dec rates in the control is the only way to compensate, but then that defeats the purpose of a rapid move. I clipped a part once before I learned to never have a rapid move in or near a part. Especially since the common default for rapid is to move each axis as fast as it can go, to the next point. So your X might arrive first and your Y is moving in a straight line. How could Mastercam compensate for that? It's not only machine specific, not only control specific, it's parameter in the control in the machine specific. The only way to be sure is to program as high-speed interpolation, but even then you will have a curve unless you use a G9 or G61.

^^^just to be 1000% clear, I wasn't blaming mastercam at all. I fully understand that it doesn't know acc/dec on a machine and that all macines are different.

The point I was trying to make is that if someone offreed a service and said the prog has been ran through vericut/nc simul or whatever, it doesn't necessarily mean it's safe to go.

I guess it is the norm to prog with vertical retracts for this very reason, but I didn't know this as it's the 1st time it's happened to us.

And it doesn't happen with our Robodrills. So I'm asuming that the servo's can be tuned for rapid to tighten the following error tolerance?

I'm waiting to hear back from my MTB and we'll get Fanuc in with their laptop.

:cheers:

Thanks Alan,

We went the retract route and all was well, but I'm *sure* the machine can be tuned to sort this?

Any linear motor machine (Matsuura/Dmg???) doing 10000000000 miles an hour in G0 surely doesn't have this problem???

You CANNOT compare a linear motor machine to ball screw machines. You just can't.

You CANNOT compare a linear motor machine to ball screw machines. You just can't.

Foggy - does the control handle axis moves differently compared with ballscrews?

Is it like the old (stepper) days when the 2nd axis will only moves once the 1st has got there?

Just curious.

Edit - apparently not. Just spoke with the Chiron dealer who has had issues before where they had clipping on a 75m/min linear motor machine.

They retracted out then G00'd if the sidewalls were within 1/4".

Foggy - does the control handle axis moves differently compared with ballscrews?

Is it like the old (stepper) days when the 2nd axis will only moves once the 1st has got there?

Just curious.

Edit - apparently not. Just spoke with the Chiron dealer who has had issues before where they had clipping on a 75m/min linear motor machine.

They retracted out then G00'd if the sidewalls were within 1/4".

75m/min... Psht! Weak sauce! Next week or the week after I'll be working on a 90m/min machine. I'm stocking up on diapers for all the times I'm gonna shat myself! :o

:rofl:

I made a suggestion to the machine tool builder about creating a sphincter probe option. When you go to run the machine you plug "it" in, no need to have your hand anywhere near the e-stop anymore. They weren't laughing. Of course the rest of us were :rofl: