Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Inverted boring head

BBprecise

Got a part that I need to use a boring head to mill the outside of a post. I'm trying to create the tool in MC, but I can't seem to get it right. Anybody ever try this in MC?

It basically functions like an annular cutter, and could be drawn as such in MC, but MC doesn't seem to understand hollow tools. At least not for me.

What I usually do is just create the operation with a boring head (which I don't select when I verify program), then create another with an endmill to cut the part in verify.

As far as I know not possible since all milling tools that do drilling have been defined to always remove material for the whole shape. Been there done that for years if you want to see it correctly on the model then you need to make a dummy milling operation ghost it and go from there. If being transferred to a lathe then I would make up models with milling operation done like this so when it went to other operation I would not get bad models to get my job done. Something the resident troll forgets in his complaining and calling us ignorant. Doing your job and getting it done.

see attached screen shots,

#2 is how I drew the tool, just a bar hanging out with the inside tip at 1.000 dia

#3 is how the tool looks in the tool manager. It's going to revolve whatever you draw, so it's not actually going to look like a boring bar

#1 is how the tool looks in verify. Notice it is hollow

#0 is how the part looks in verify, with a 1.000 dia boss left in the middle

Hope this helps

post-40969-0-76477500-1399999649_thumb.jpg

post-40969-0-03115700-1399999718_thumb.jpg

post-40969-0-38118300-1399999795_thumb.jpg

post-40969-0-70968200-1399999871_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm getting closer. I can at least create the tool and see it in backplot. When I try to verify, I get an error about the 1st and last Y0 not equaling zero then the contour should not intersect itself.

Ugghh! I've created countless tools since 5.5 and I've never had such a hard time as I've had in X7.

... I get an error about the 1st and last Y0 not equaling zero then the contour should not intersect itself.

I go this error this morning in CATIA. The problem was with my geometry. I had a tiny overlapping piece of geometry. I found it, got rid of it and my part revolved. Maybe this may help.

No dice Foghorn. I trimmed that thing 10 ways to Sunday and it still won't verify. I've tried everything I can think of, even things that definitely shouldn't work with no success.

Thanks for the help guys.

all the geom is on the same level?

there are no overlapping entities?

there are no duplicate entities?

all the geom is at Z zero?

all geom is lines & arcs?

there is no other geom on the same level?

all the geom is on the same level? Yup

there are no overlapping entities? Nope

there are no duplicate entities? Nope

all the geom is at Z zero? Yup

all geom is lines & arcs? Yup

there is no other geom on the same level? Nope

I've tried un-hiding and un-blanking and nothing works. I did a statistics on it and everything matches to a T.

I'll try your method guy.

Instead of using a custom file, try importing it and using a custom level. Delete the centerline too. I don't see anything wrong, though

I'd kill the centerline as well,..

I usually start the custom geom on a level in the part file. Once the custom tool is up & running then I'll save it to a custom MCX. With the new tool database once it's saved into the library you don't "need" the MCX file.

Is the center line on Y zero?