Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SB-348 Grade 2 annealed Titanium

Looking for some advise on machining quality of this material. This would be our first Ti job so not even sure how to quote it because we have never machined any Ti ever! So looking for some advise on how tough/easy this material is, maybe a comparison to something else? we have cut 4142, A2,D2, 303/304,316 and such. Any input is much appreciated. FYI mainly a turning job with the exception of some milled flats. Maybe the biggest thing that scares me is I only have till today to quote. :no Thanks in advance.

For quoting purposes only I would quote it like you would A2 or D2, then add 15% for the learning curve. Being annealed it should cut fairly good if you keep flood coolant on it (thru tool if you have it). Research your tooling your local tool supplier should be able to help you there.

Eric, look to the HST toolpaths and will be amazed how efficiently you can run this stuff with the right tooling. I assume it is milling and not turning, but if turning then like suggested above it will give you a good start. Clean out any machine you are going to be cutting it in to have clean chips. Not sure over there, but here a good price per pound on Ti.

The machinability of this grade is similar to that of Titanium 6Al-4V. TICN coated carbide tools work well. Turning inserts, positive rake inserts in negative rake holders work best. Better to increase DOC than to increase feed for maximum removal rate. For milling solid carbide woks well at about 200 SFM, drilling with solid carbide 100 SFM, cobalt at 45 SFM. Don't try and push a worn out tool this material it will work harden. About 75% of our jobs are Ti, have fun.

A big thank you to everyone for the quick reply, very good info. This job may be a tough one, its a small part around 1in o.d. and 1.5 long, with a tough bore dimension. The bore is about 7/16 dia. and 1.25 dp. with a call out of flatness and parallel to the end within .0004. Ouch! I may have to pass on this job, even if its wasn't Ti. Again thanks to all that replied.