Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hey you carbon fiber guys

Onsrud has a line of CF specific tooling.

cant say enough about diamond coatings or Diamond like coatings/ worse case.

i've rung .38 cutters in the 5-10k range, but have not done extensive testing of one setting vs the other to chart tool life.

http://www.onsrud.co...oc/Carbide-Burr

This is what we use.

You can run the Burr or Carbone Graphite ones pretty fast for roughing(leave .02"-.015"). Then just finish with carbide.

I usually start with 4000rpm at 30-40ipm depending on the hangout and depth of cut, for roughing.

With dynamic milling I've cut G10 with a 3/4 or 1/2dia. Diamond Burr at 3500rpm @ 75-100ipm, full radial d.o.c., 15% stepover. Like butta.

Haven't gotten the chance to try dynamic milling on Carbon Fiber yet though.

Carbon fiber tends to delaminate a little easier though. Just food for thought.

3.750" stick out maybe a bit of an issue though.

Edited by Oscar R.

I cut variety of different carbon fiber materials every day. This is the best all-around cutter I have found. Without going to the expensive PCD cutters.

Regular end mills will cause the material to delaminate and will wear down extremely fast.

http://www.onsrud.com/product/Item/m/itemDetail.html?q=66-911altin&itemId=66-911ALTIN

My default RPM is 9200, IPM is 50. This can change a lot depending on the fiber in the material. When I first started cutting carbon I was surprised how much feeds and speeds vary depending on the type carbon and fibers that are used. Kevlar, Aramid and ceramic fiber will burn the cutter up fast and there is not a lot you can do about it. I have found that using the smallest cutter diameter possible seems to work the best. You shouldn’t have any problem using a .250” cutter on .200” material but might have to slow the feed down.

This cutter will leave little ridges down the trim since it is a diamond shaped flute. If you need a smooth edge just come back and have a finish pass with a regular end mill, finishing the least amount possible. I try to leave less than .010". If you use a diamond like coated end mill for this it will last a long time, they can be found fairly cheap.

The first cut is a full slot to remove the excess. It seemed to be cutting good 4000rpm and 10ipm. I started increasing the feed rate and I think it snapped at around 20.

Are you running air or anything else on this for chip evac?

What's the D.O.C?

Seem like a pretty slow feed to snap a tool unless chips clogged up in there. Which is pretty common by the way, especially on a full slot pass.

Not much to add, just confirming what others have said here based on my own experience.

+1 on the Onsrud tools! :cheers:

Also the down-spiral flute for thin section materials works great, and the smaller diameter tool the better is a good rule of thumb.

Speed / feed is also key as jfitch points out, and is dependent on the type of material.

Again, the general rule of thumb is lower spindle speeds to prevent burning / glazing / chipping of edges, and also helps tool life. ;)

Unfortunately it often comes down to trial and error to get the speed & feed dialed in for any given material.

However if you have a good starting point it's usually not too painful a process to tweak the s&f to get the best results. :thumbsup: