Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids Question

bigprody

I am trying to develop an electrode that will be orbited. I am having trouble adding fillets to the hits that match the detail we will be burning. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help point me in the correct direction. The problem is that the fillet is larger than some of the inside radii. The part has a sort of mitered corner that I do not seem to be able to make happen in Mastercam.

I am running X7 mill level 3

I would be happy to provide the file if someone has the time to look at it.

I have attached a snip of the corner that I am trying to develop the trode for.

post-40252-0-63142900-1403115697_thumb.png

Yes, I use that quite often when our sinker is doing a straight plunge. In this case he will be orbiting the electrode I need to pull everything in in the x, y plane .012 and offset the radii in the z plane .002. I have the xy pulled in I just need to fillet the top corner to match the part.

Thanks again for your help. Ben

I actually have a few days on this so no rush.

Kevin

Kevin, I can offer a suggestion here that might help. It is a problem with most parasolid based solids kernels. UG has this same issue and would have a trouble making these fillets. Best practice sometimes is to make a male of the inside of the shape. Then put your fillets on that male and Boolean remove it from female you are trying to make which is what I think Ben was eluding to. If I get some time today I will take a look as well.

Okay it bugged me and I looked at your file and the male you have on level 5 just make it longer int other area you are having the problem and see if you can put the radius on there. Also do not forget to make up chains that will represent an actual toolpaths and use those chains to make the fillet either. Trick I have used for years is to backplot a Mastercam file and use the center line geometry of my tool to then make circles from that are the diameter of my tool. If the tool is a bull endmill then I take the extra step and make the cylinder and put the fillet on it then Boolean remove it. Or I draw my tool normals at the start of what is a toolpath and then sweep it through the solid just like it is machining it. The Stock Models attempts to do this, but these are useless STL's that Solid Layout cannot use.

Edited by Crazy^Millman

Hey, Thanks guys. You have given me some viable options. FYI I sent this off to our re-seller and they gave it a shot. Their answer was to move the file to solid works, it has a more powerful generator and they were able to fillet it properly. With electrodes over the years I have found that you have to be a bit creative in order to get the result you need.

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to share your expertise.

Kevin