Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Organizing Tools in a Horizontal

Start with your 1st part and go from there. Organizing your magazine for the most part will do nothing but limit you. The only exception I make to that rule is I try to put short run tools closer to the door in a matrix (like spot drills that have short cycles mostly). On a chain it makes no difference because you're going to be all over the place anyway after a while. This is one of those ideas that sounds good in theory, but in practice, it quickly becomes a mess.

I would vote against putting multiple length of cut tools of the same diameter. I've seen some guys have a stub, standard, and an XL when a standard and an XL would have done the job. You'll need to maximize your tool use. A tool that is not necessarily THE most efficient but fits a larger percentage of parts is the better option whenever possible.

HTH

Don't waste time organizing by any sort of type. Something will come up at some point and throw a wrench in the works.

Like James said, work on trying to make each cutter count, it might seem like you have a lot of holes to fill now but they disappear fast.

• Like 1

the only thing I have done in the past was organize by material....ie wine rack 1 & 2 are for titanium...3&4 aluminum...ect. 240 tools is not enough. 400+ then we are talking

I started doing this too, but then I ran out of room.

I've recently started buying drills and taps that perform in most stainless' and aluminum, so I don't have to have 4 types of M6x1 taps in the machine. The performance or tool life is a little less in some materials, but I get more space in the matrix, and less tooling to stock and manage.

DT - I was taking the mickey!!!

That'll teach me for trying to be funny...

However, yes, you can do all of that and more.

We do a lot of scanning (45deg type) with a square end tool - you can get into the sidewalls tighter than a ballnose.

Start with the tool at lowest point and 1st cut scan up (talking ally or brass here)