Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MULTIPLE MACHINE GROUPS

Hey guys I'm lloking 4 some input here...

The problem I seem to be having is as followed...

using one mcx main file that contains 4 machine groups.

these are large parts that need to be spun 180 to complete one side.

I complete machine group 1 and start group 2, I would like to use the same tools / order and just re pick geom.

If I copy  group 1 opterations and paste to group 2 it breaks all ties to spot drill location and must reassign ALL tools

to proper sub.... ( pain in the ares !!!! )

If I export the group I get the same result :( :( ....

Any ideas ?????

thx

I'm using  X7 MU2

Best I've had for that is to copy the tools from one group to the other before copying operations, then hit "yes" when it asks to use same tool. Make sure "assign tool numbers sequentially" is turned off.

If you have tools of duplicate descriptions, such as a rougher and a finisher of the same dimensions, you will have to reselect some of them.

You say groups, but are not specific in saying are these machine groups or toolpaths groups. I will take a stab in the dark here and say you are talking about Machine groups since I have never seen the behavior you are talking about in toolpath groups inside of one file. Yes you do lose tools if the tools from your previous machine group have not been saved to a library and then the new machine group has not been linked to that library. Simple process here is to make a .tooldb with your 1st machine group. When you create your 2nd machine group in the machine properties you want to set the tool library to that previous operation library. Now the new operation group should be able to see the previous operation groups tools and then you should be good to go.

Exporting toolpaths might work if you have save geometry, but I would try what I suggested above 1st and then go from there.

Well I can copy tools from the tool manager from one work group to another ...

But the part i miss the most is loosing the link to geometry ...

in the past we would make a program for op-1 then rename the file for op-2,

then rotate part and re-pick spot drills and the rest of the drilling ops would follow ..

this is very simple but i cant seem to do that when using multiple work groups ...

what are you thoughts on change recognition using multiple work groups ???

what are you thoughts on change recognition using multiple work groups ???

I have never used it so I cannot say.

Could you use a WCS to help you accomplish what you are after with a stock model for each WCS? Then everything stays in one machine group and then when you go to verify you just pick the stock model for which side you are working on. Seems to me you are making it much harder than it needs to be. Got a sample file with some basic stuff in it to share and then maybe someone can point you in a better direction to help make the process faster and better for you?

I AM USING NEW WCS WITH EACH OP ALREADY ,, SOME ARE SPUN AND SOME FLIPPED AND TIPPED .......

Okay, but are using the new stock model process? If so then it is just a matter of picking that stock model for the simulation and then you can use the new style backplot that will use it as well. With the classic backplot since you are using WCS that will be the way to go about it. Have you reached out to your dealer?

In have NO problems verifying at all ... It does all ops...

the problem I have is that I don't want to have to reassign drills and taps ,reams to the spot drill locations.....

I was told by protec this would happen ,,,, :(  i see advantages in using work groups like having all programs in one file ,..

But if I am to loose the ties to my sub location and have to reassign all tools for the next op  I don't know its worth it....

these files how 24+ tools ,,,,, time consuming ......

I'mnot sure we are on the same page .......

change recognition would be a great feature to make a new part ... all ops at one time in one file .......

I copy ops between machine groups every day and never lose geometry or tools. I just click on the toolpath group, click copy, move the arrow to the the toolpath group in the next machine group, click paste, go through each op slowly and click either yes on no to use existing tools. You do need to go into Properties, tool settings and turn off "assign tools sequentially"

I copy ops between machine groups every day and never lose geometry or tools. I just click on the toolpath group, click copy, move the arrow to the the toolpath group in the next machine group, click paste, go through each op slowly and click either yes on no to use existing tools. You do need to go into Properties, tool settings and turn off "assign tools sequentially"

Tim I think you have shed the light needed on this topic.