Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Modular "screw-on" milling heads/shanks

All,

I have been given a project where I must reach right about 10 1/4" deep with a 1" cutter. The part will be set up on a 50 taper horizontal. I thought I found a source for the tools that I need to reach this length....using modular screw on heads, as the attached pic shows. Korloy has a carbide shank in their catalog that would allow me to reach this depth and have plenty left to put up in a holder. unfortunatly no stock in the US or Korea. Anyone got a source for some LONG extensions that will allow me to reach this depth AND give me a couple of inches to hold on to? I have looked and I can get there by stacking up extensions, however I would rather have a 1 piece setup. No particular brand loyality, as long as the thing works.

I did notice that Dapra has an 11" long extension that would work but is made of heavy metal (tungsten) rather than carbide. Seems to me that on this much of an overhang, I want as much rigidity as possible, so not sure if heavy metal would work. http://dapra.com/cutting/modularheads.htm

Thoughts/advise?

Thanks!

post-5509-0-44782000-1407335235_thumb.jpg

If it's for aluminum, you might do well with a solid carbide endmill. Destiny, and Swiftcarb come to mind as folks who could make you a 1x13 pretty quickly.  One of my customers uses Swiftcarb solid carbide, 1.25 x 14 OAL solid carbide on some semiconductor chambers. :help:

If it's for aluminum, you might do well with a solid carbide endmill. Destiny, and Swiftcarb come to mind as folks who could make you a 1x13 pretty quickly.  One of my customers uses Swiftcarb solid carbide, 1.25 x 14 OAL solid carbide on some semiconductor chambers. :help:

WATCH THE RETRACT!

• Like 1

Good call Joe....checking this route.

We run some 1x8 solid carbide endmills on CAT40 machines that are 6 inches down in a pocket. You definitely quadruple check the backplot to make sure there's no shank contact anywhere. :help:

I just got some 3/4x8 3 flute relieved shank endmills from Destiny, they worked really well, way better then I thought going over 6" deep with a 3/4" cutter was going to go anyways. Aluminum is so much easier to deal with when it comes to this stuff.

The 12" deep I had to go with a 2" cutter in 15-5 stainless, on my 40 taper hmc,  was not as fun.

Check out Ingersoll chip surfer series. Its a T15 head. only have 1 insertable head option but could also by solid carbide bits. Part number S125T15CK-80, Total shank length is 12inchs. Insertable head part number is1SJ1Y-10012TURO1. Hope that helps.