Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Triangular stock removal witout air cuts?

Oscar R.

So, I run into this from time to time and have never really found an efficient way to do this.

What I want to do is rough out all of the extra stock from a triangular point to a wide flat surface a little over 4 inches down, using 1in. D.O.C., without cutting air on the way down from the point to widest parts of the flat. 

I've tried a few different toolpaths that use trim to stock, but for some reason my stock model is all out of wake and does not appear where I originally saved it. I'm using WSC and planes for the multiple operations, so I suspect that that might be the issue there.  

Never the less, I can't get that to work.

Does anyone have a good solution to this?

Can't share the part file, but I included a couple of screen shots, hopefully they help.

Just FYI, the material is basically like a really abrasive foam, and the dia. of the cutter being used is 1.00"

TIA.

post-41003-0-13662300-1408137033_thumb.png

post-41003-0-88891300-1408137038_thumb.png

Edited by Oscar R.

Well, so much for that. I just remembered that I did last time I had to deal with this.

I must have just had one those end of the week brain farts.

I ended up first making a standard pocket toolpath from the top, and then just trimmed that toolpath from the side view with a triangular shape for my boundary. More z rapids than I care for but at least I'm not cutting air.

post-41003-0-37801700-1408139435_thumb.png

All good ideas, but I found that just doing a zigzag pocket with trim gave me the best results with out all the extra drawing geometry or stock model. For this particular situation anyway.

I'm sure I'll come across this again. I'll have to keep these ideas in mind if I get into a situation were I need them.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Be careful with Surface rough pocket. double check things as it has tendency to over cut at times. used to really like the path but use with caution.

Jay, thanks for the heads up. I think I've run into that one before as well. But the pocket that I used is just a standard 2D pocket with cut method set to zigzag, then trim that from a side view. Worked out really well.

By the way Jay, been a while since last we talked or run into each other, hope things are well with you.