Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks

drafting3

Here is how I leaned it.  I had the plans for a scale nine cylinder radial engine which included drawings of every component.  I had planned on building one some day but I sat down with this book of drawings (1" thick) and modeled every single drawing.  I then assembled every component into an assembly.  I then made it work and animated it.  All of this on my own time, over the course of a few weeks.  When I was done I was pretty good at Solidworks.  Here is the result:

Whenever someone starts here and says they want to learn CAD I loan them that book of plans.  I have yet to have anyone model more than 1-2 parts...

• Like 1

I hope the learning curve isn't bad. I've doing 3D solids for about 18 years and worked with Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, Creo, and even a little SolidEdge.

The trick will be learning all the efficiency techniques. I'm guessing it will be a few months before I'm comfortable with it.

I hope the learning curve isn't bad. I've doing 3D solids for about 18 years and worked with Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, Creo, and even a little SolidEdge.

The trick will be learning all the efficiency techniques. I'm guessing it will be a few months before I'm comfortable with it.

If you can run Creo, Solidworks will be easy for you. I think Solidworks was the easiest for me to learn. 

If you can run Creo, Solidworks will be easy for you. I think Solidworks was the easiest for me to learn. 

I always heard ProE was the end-all-be-all for CAD packages, but after I worked with Creo I was disappointed. Super clunky and temperamental... Solidworks feels a little more intuitive.

• 4 weeks later...