Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File transfer problem/File name

Incogneeto

Hi Guys, We have a Brother TC-324 and We transfer files with a floppy drive and PC laptop. As of right now I can recieve and send any file that was in the Machine. But when I post in Mastercam(Brother post from reseller) I keep getting an Invalid File Name. I tried .NC,.Txt The Files taken from the machine just say file ,No extension.. I went to control def. and deleted file name and got what looks like exactly the same file. I adjusted the code to match exactly. And same issue. Contacted camtech and sent both files and he saw nothing either. Would appreciate ANY help on this. Thanks Dave

Are you talking about the extension??? Or the actual file name ? From what  I have seen Brothers are notoriously tricky .But as I said I can Load and unload all of it's current programs.

And We have two Brothers a tc-32a and a tc-324 and for some reason you can't interchange those either.

you may limited to 8 characters, no spaces or symbols

Thanks I went ahead and did that .And will try it. But looking at several machining sites there are quite a few threads on this problem. Most people can't load or unload at all. and are basically

hand programming. and then deleting or conversational and delete. The only extension is it just says File not .file. You would think it was easy but I have searched the entire programs and see no difference.

And reseller has no clue.

I don't have much in the way of suggestions on this but, is it possible that it has a file extension that windows isn't showing you.. Make sure to check inside windows so that it shows you file extensions..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions#show-hide-file-name-extensions=windows-7

Are you talking about the extension??? Or the actual file name ? From what  I have seen Brothers are notoriously tricky .But as I said I can Load and unload all of it's current programs.

And We have two Brothers a tc-32a and a tc-324 and for some reason you can't interchange those either.

file name, had some old machines that could not take more than 8

I would suggest looking at the files using a Hex Editor (an editor that lets you view the hexadecimal codes hiding in the blank space in a file)

Essentially within the file there are different codes for things like tabs, spaces and line endings.. my guess is that the brothers probably have a different character or set of characters for line endings and that is what keeps a new file from working when an old one does.

The line endings thing I have seen before when one software uses UNIX system based line endings and one system uses Windows based line endings..

There also might be codes in the beginning of the file that don't display but that have a purpose for the communication to work.