Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Side milling external radius with end mill

SFR

Hi,

First of all I wanted to say that this forum has been very helpful for me as I am new to Mastercam and learning much. After searching the forum and not finding a topic that addresses my question I am ready for my first post.

What I am trying to do is illustrated in the attached picture. I would like to know if there is a simple way to side mill around an external radius. The blue lines in the picture show approximately where I would like to position the end mill to rough the radius. The picture is a top view of a sample part on a HMC with B axis rotation. The way I have this figured out so far is to create a plane at the various different positions I want the end mill to be at and then just use a contour path to rough the radius.

Is there a simpler way to accomplish this? Maybe a multi axis, or surface tool path I could try?

Thanks!

post-52930-0-37292800-1416503840_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I know there are easier ways to machine the radius. I was asked to try this way to see if it would be a faster way to rough it than stepping down along the radius.

I was not able to get the Wireframe 2D swept to work. I am running into issues when trying to chain the radius. I select my first chain, hit enter and then Mastercam asks me for the intersection point. After I click on an intersecting point then it pops up an error stating that I can only have 3 chains. As I said I am new with Mastercam, so I'm sure I'm missing something pretty simple. Can someone please walk me through this toolpath?

The file uploader won't let me upload a "mcx-8" file, so I renamed the file extension to '.txt'. just rename the file extension to 'mcx-8' to see the file.

Here is my take on it. There is no need to create Lines to control the Tool Axis. Not having to create them saves you a step...

Area Type: Full, start and end at exact surface edges

Extend/trim: enabled (click the plus sign, set option to 60% of diameter)

Cutting method: One way

Maximum Stepover: .5

Tool Axis Control: Surface with lead/lag

Tilt at side of cutting direction: 90 degrees

Side tilt definition: Ortho to cut direction at each position

radius multiaxis-No_Lines.txt