Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Merge File X8 question

BillKobernus

When I merge a file with a solid in it, into another file with solids, when I accept it, the merged solid turns color, like it's a "result". But it's not a result, and you can't clear the colors.

In the first picture, the solid comes in the correct color, but as soon as I hit the green ball, it turns color, like in the second picture.   Now I clear the colors, but it still stay red. I analyze it and it says it is the green color. I try to change the color, and it still stays red, but it will analyze the new color.

I can't have this. I merge files with assemblies. Does this mean everything is going to be red on my screen?    YUCK!

Thanks in advance for and help you can offer.

Bill K

post-25264-0-69022200-1421795762_thumb.jpg

post-25264-0-09212700-1421795776_thumb.jpg

After clicking the green ball to accept your changes, select your imported solid and delete it. Then go to edit and undo. This will change it back to the original import color. Works everytime!

Welcome to the forum!  :cheers:

Yes I believe that works because you are deleting the group association.

When you undo the delete, the group association doesn't come back.

I believe Rick's response above explains why it happens. 

Any time you import geometry (solids or wireframe) it comes in as a system group which retains the system group color until you clear it.

When Screen > Clear Colors doesn't clear it, just click on the 'Groups' icon at the bottom right corner.

This will show any current system groups or results.

Simply delete the current system group, then clear colors, and your geometry will now be its original color.

(Remember, you are only deleting the group associativity, NOT the group entities!)

HTH   :cheers:

• Like 1

This is most likely happening because File/Merge does create Groups (so that you can potentially place multiple instances and have a way to manage them).

One way to get the colors you expect is to go into Settings/Configuration and toggle from 'use group's color' -> 'use entity colors' and it should never display anything in its 'group color'

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.

HEY Pete!    That was it.  Thank you very much.

Thanks to all the other replies too. In past versions this always was a simple thing, just merge the files.  I'm sure that deleting the "Group" association works too, but I never had to do that before.

Now I know to check the correct box in the Config file.

Thanks again.

Bill K