Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

installing x8

cherokeechief79

ive been having nothing but trouble since we installed mx8.

we cant do the install here ourselves an IT guy comes down and installs it but he knows nothing about mastercam.i remember with ver 9 that our reseller came to the shop and installed it but had to do a few things in the settings to optimize the performance.does this have to be done with x8?should I get our reseller on the phone with him to reinstall it?

we upgraded from x6 which seemed to run pretty good but still slower than 9.

we left x6 installed and did a separate install of x8 so that we could use both.

x8 runs so slow that I don't even want to use it.even just starting it up or shutting it down sometimes takes forever.

we also have many restrictions on our computers and don't have access to all areas on the harddrive which sometimes causes conflicts.

I have been using x6 because it runs faster than 8 on my computer but yesterday something happened where it would not shut down when I closed it.

out IT guy said that my profile became corrupt and had to create a new profile for me.he put all of my files in a folder on the desktop.

when I posted a program today,that I wrote before this happened the code was not from the correct post of the machine selected.when I tried to put in a new machine(the one I know is set up correctly and the post is right)I get an error that says "the above file name is referenced in the file being opened.

a current version of this file cannot be found so the previous version file will continue to be referenced"

Your problem is not with X8, it's your IT department.

They are trying to apply Fortune 500 level cooperate security policies to a Cad/Cam workstation.

It can be done, but it takes an expert to pull it off.

You're going to need to uninstall X8 and have your Mastercam dealer

walk your IT department through the install and post upgrade.

Hopefully they are up to the task and your IT Dept is not too stubborn to listen. 

A better solution is to get your Mastercam dealer on site and get things straightened out.

I quit a job over this problem once. I spent more time struggling with a bad install

and an arrogant IT "guru" than I did working.

The worst part is that I knew exactly what to do, but they wouldn't give me the rights to manage

my computer and were far too arrogant to listen to me about what needed doing.

First I would make sure that you are a member of the "Local Administrator" group.  This enables you to be in control of your computer but doesn't give any extra network permissions.  Mastercam can be ran without being setup this way but as gcode said it takes a pretty decent IT to make it work. 

Also make sure that the IT department is aware of Mastercam's default files directories. 

Personal Files -- C:\Users\[login]\Document\My mcamx8\

Shared Files  --C:\Users\Public\Document\Shared mcamx8\

You need to have full R/W permissions to both of these directories.  Your configuration files are stored in the Personal Files directory and your Machine defs, posts and tool libraries are stored in the Shared Files directory.  I would also have IT check the recommended hardware specifications for X8 and possibly upgrade your computer to match.

Mark,

Do you have a maintenance agreement with your reseller?

You may also have the option of having your Mastercam tech support do a virtual tech session with you, which is often just as good as an on-site visit.

All you need is an internet connection to the Mastercam workstation. ;)

However as John and gcode said above, if your workstation itself isn't up to standard for running X8 and your permission issues aren't resolved you will need to address those first.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

our IT guy came down today but we had trouble getting things to work properly after my profile was changed.

we decided to call our reseller mon morning and try a reinstall with them on the phone too.

one think im still a little confused about though is if I can convert a post from ver 9 over to x8 or will I have to go thru x6 first and then x8.