Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Force tool change retracts and stops the spindle after every pass!

mmoya

Okay so its a 2D Contour toolpath witha 3D contour, I want a toolchange before it starts because the toolpath before it uses the same tool.

Our operator asks for this so if anything happens in the middle of a program, he can skip over the hours of machining that's already been done in order to resume at the nearest operation.

Problem is, when I run the program, the damn machine stops, retracts the spindle, sends rotary to 0, and then starts again, after EVERY pass! and theres 8 passes! :wallbash:

Looked at the Gcode and obviously it has inserted a "toolchange" after every pass. Clearance "use only at end of op" doesn't make a difference. The toolpath window doesn't even display the tool inspection options. What can I do to change this? Post setting? Why on earth would someone want this to happen every pass?

I could do it manually, but I really don't want to. I need a bunch of forced toolchanges because the program runs the same tool for like 4 hours and 16 operations.

Here's what outputs at each pass:

M5
G91 G28 Z0. M9
A0.
M01

With tool inspection the post has to be set up to handle per machine. What you are asking for could be handled many different ways, from a mi trigger to cantext with the toolpath editor. The best way would be using the tool inspection and taking the time to change the post to support it. Dealers are always your 1st line of support, but if you want to hire an outside company to help you tackle this there are companies like ours that will helps if and only if the dealer options have been explored.

With tool inspection the post has to be set up to handle per machine. What you are asking for could be handled many different ways, from a mi trigger to cantext with the toolpath editor. The best way would be using the tool inspection and taking the time to change the post to support it. Dealers are always your 1st line of support, but if you want to hire an outside company to help you tackle this there are companies like ours that will helps if and only if the dealer options have been explored.

I understand there is a setting in the post for tool inspection support, but would that post setting dictate when or how often that happens even when there no option for it in the toolpath manager?

I don't even want a "tool inspection," all we need is a break in the program every few operations, not every pass.

Break your tool path up into several, then only use the Force ToolChange where you need it

There are more elegant ways to do it with post edits and such but that will get the job done

Break your tool path up into several, then only use the Force ToolChange where you need it

I think that's what he's doing.  I do it too; I use Force Toolchange for a dial-in pass so the operator can easily restart there.  But it sounds like he's saying that when he does that, he gets a retract and home on every pass on the one operation, which he doesn't want.

I think that's what he's doing.  I do it too; I use Force Toolchange for a dial-in pass so the operator can easily restart there.  But it sounds like he's saying that when he does that, he gets a retract and home on every pass on the one operation, which he doesn't want.

If that's the case, then it's a post issue

Someone's been tweaking around in there

Exactly. One operation might have 5 to 10 passes, and if there's a forced tool change on 5 op's, thats a ton of wasted time..

Sorry if my post was difficult to understand. My hands type faster than I can think sometimes.

If that's the case, then it's a post issue

Someone's been tweaking around in there

Any advice on where in the post I could investigate? Things to look for?

I'm using the generic HAAS 4x post that I lightly modified. Though I don't remember changing anything that could've caused this issue.... :question: