Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"Number of flutes" for drills and feed rate calculation

evugar

Guest MTB Technical Services

It's the same principle as pinch turning.

For a 2 flute drill, each cutting edge is only in the cut for 180 degrees of each spindle revolution.

Tim - really (he says stepping in with a HUGE flame suit on)?

My mind/logic says that if each edge was only in the cut for 180degrees, then with the incut/outcut/incut/outcut rotation as you're feeding, you'd have chips that are broken.

I always thought that because of the simultaneous engagement, you're effectively getting 2x cutting edges 180degrees apart, that are joined in the middle.

Hence when cutting, you get one long continuous string/chip up each flute (yeh I know not for production so don't bash me as you all know what I mean :rolleyes:).

And if you used a 3 flute/core drill, you'd get the same again.

Interesting.

Guest MTB Technical Services

Tim - really (he says stepping in with a HUGE flame suit on)?

My mind/logic says that if each edge was only in the cut for 180degrees, then with the incut/outcut/incut/outcut rotation as you're feeding, you'd have chips that are broken.

I always thought that because of the simultaneous engagement, you're effectively getting 2x cutting edges 180degrees apart, that are joined in the middle.

Hence when cutting, you get one long continuous string/chip up each flute (yeh I know not for production so don't bash me as you all know what I mean :rolleyes:).

And if you used a 3 flute/core drill, you'd get the same again.

Interesting.

What you are not understanding is that you are cutting with the bottom of the cutter, in the axial direction, and NOT the side.

I have demonstrated this to people numerous times on a machine itself.

You can really see it when demonstrating pinch turning but it is the same principle.

A single edge of a 2-Flute drill is removing only HALF of the material.

Correct drilling feed per minute is based on a single flute/UPR calculation.

You take the UPR and DIVIDE  by the number of flutes to get the correct chip load per flute.

If you are calculating your drilling feedrates based on the number of flutes and multiplying like milling, you are doing it wrong.;%29.gif

• Like 1