Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

multi axis milling

TERRYH

Is there a way to do multi-axis pocket milling, without creating a individual WCS for each pocket? I am doing a headliner check fixture and have 65 small pads to mill and drill, we know how to use the multi-axis drilling only using the 3-axis WCS and the surfaces to set the individual planes. We are still using MCX6 

post-37762-0-72697100-1428593095_thumb.png

You should be able to use a multi axis toolpath to do what you are after fairly easy. For multi axis drill just create a point ant the top of the hole and a vector line projecting out from it that terminated at the point. For milling the pads even curve could do what your after using the surface to control your vector and a chain around the pad.

Not many people are using X6 anymore, that might be why you aren't getting much of a response. 

I would break that up into 2 subjects : drilling and machining.  I once had a jig which had small air holes facing in 230 different directions. I fired up Pro-drill and 20 minutes later I had a drilling program. 15 minutes of that went into figuring out how it works as it was the first time I was using it :) If you don't have it  FBM drill will also create drilling in different  tool planes.

As the part seems symmetrical  along the X axis , I would batlle it out 2+3 on one half and then you get the other half machining for free using Transform : Method : Toolplane .

Gracjan

• Like 1

Terry,

I'm not sure I understand your question.

I ALWAYS leave the WCS set to TOP for both 5-axis milling and drilling.

Are you asking if you need a separate WCS for every operation?

If so, the answer is no.

Do you need a separate toolplane for each operation?

Yes, if the geometry is not normal to the top plane or any other pre-defined plane.

However, Mastercam 5-axis toolpaths do the calculating of the toolplane based upon the geometry you select.

Hardmill once posted a very good WCS tutorial here on the forum.

If you can find that, it will explain it much better than I can.

Good luck.  :thumbsup:

5 axis Multisurface is likely to be your friend here

You're on X6 so I can't so anything for a sample file but the multi-surf tool part, you'll need multiples and keep the tool normal to the floor of the pocket.  That may get you what you need.

We know how to use the multi-axis drilling, which is what I used to drill what was needed, and that only requires the original 3-axis WCS. but we have never used a multi-axis milling program, which would have saved a ton of time on this part. We have never had any formal training on Mastercam since before X2 was released, a lot of what we do is self taught which hurts us when trying to do something or ask questions on here, and were still using 6 because one of our guys does not like change, and if our company is not going to get us proper training to use what is available to us on newer versions, I find it a waste of time. I for the life of me do not know why when the upgrades are free when you have a paid license why they refuse to keep us up to date with the training. especially when a few of our primary customers are people like GM, Ford, Lexus, Chrysler and John Deere. Anyways thanks for the response. I got it done doing it the long way. 

In the same boat here as far as being self taught. I usually don't have much to add, but I sure learn a lot by lurking. I keep our system up to date as we have maintenance also, and I have to say, X8 is a huge improvement. The fact that they changed all the icons leaves one scratching his head, but the improvements in chaining and solid modeling are well worth the effort it takes to learn the new features.

I haven't had any formal training on Mastercam since X came out. I just dive in to the new version when it comes out and keep moving forward. I follow what others post on here and buy myself the occasional Inhouse book if I need to learn about something specific. With X8 came a large number of improvements that are well worth looking into and with X9 just on the horizon I would make the switch as soon as possible.

The thing on upgrading is, is that every time we upgrade to a newer version we go through a lot of headaches with our posts, and I think we drive our re-sellers crazy. and we don't really have the luxury of being allowed to experiment as our CNC supervisor likes things a certain way. And when we are slow when it would really be a good time to dig in and learn other stuff,we are always told "we will keep you busy and do some training" only to get a call on Sunday morning telling you that you have to go to the machine shop to run mindless production, and are being forced to change shifts after 15 years on first. But anyways common sense and my company are two words you cannot use in the same sentence and be correct.