Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

helix bore and cutter comp

jlw™

I'm having trouble with Helix Bore and cutter comp.

Are there any known issues or is the problem in my control?

It's a Mazak using Mazatrol tool data.  The path is correct for G41 CC left.  Simulation/Verify look good but in the machine it's not offsetting the radius of the tool.  Sorry, I can't upload part file but will make a sample if some one needs to take a look.

None the less, it's hurt my feelings and I want to know if there is anything I did wrong.

Thanks!

I'm having trouble with Helix Bore and cutter comp.

Are there any known issues or is the problem in my control?

It's a Mazak using Mazatrol tool data.  The path is correct for G41 CC left.  Simulation/Verify look good but in the machine it's not offsetting the radius of the tool.  Sorry, I can't upload part file but will make a sample if some one needs to take a look.

None the less, it's hurt my feelings and I want to know if there is anything I did wrong.

Thanks!

longtime issue...cutter comp with leads..

some controls wont cc on arc so use a line...angle at shallowest angle possible to avoid marking in blind bore.

Some will if you use a line plus arc.

Some will with arc.

You can also use 2D contour set to ramp, then in lead in lead out use perpendicular (perpendicular lead in is ESSENTIAL) and then make sure lead in and lead out on both line and arc are set to 50% of the cutter minimum.

The 50% of the cutter is what makes it move over since your using control comp on Mazak's..

I never had much luck with Helix bore when using control comp on our Mazak's, not saying its not possible, just I always had issues with it not doing what I expected.

I like to use the 2D contour method because its totally predictable and I can change it to do whatever I want and see the correct info in verify.. and btw I am running this code in Mazak's were running all EIA, however so AFAIK any gcode that is run is going to run as EIA even if its a sub inside of Mazatrol.

• Like 1

Just happened to think, you also might want to verify that in the options for backplot (the old backplot that is) you have it set to simulate cutter comp.  You probably also want to make sure that on the Cutter Compensation page of your Control Definition that Control supports cutter compensation in control is checked.

Well, I fingered it out. It was parameters on 2 machines. One was correct once so I was baffled because it miraculously changed itself. The other, we had never ran eia in and I had to change parameters in it. All 3 controls, fusion, matrix and matrix 2 will apply cutter comp on arc... just has to be set correctly. For some reason, the fusion machine never gave trouble with esprit posted files and the matrix machine had never had the parameters set. It's set now... after a hard lesson learned.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I tested with practically every possible entry and they all worked properly. If any one wants to know the parameter changes I'll post tomorrow. It's 3 different FB parameters and it had been so long since I last dealt with it o had forgotten.

Thanks again!

for pictures I use PhotoBucket

Also, the forum grants users 15 megs of upload space.....if you need to gain some of that back go into your profile, click edit my profile, on the left side you'll see "Manage Attachments"

You can go through and delete those that you wish to free up space

This is a post/helix bore question.

When I post a helix bore WITHOUT "output arc moves for helixes" it works fine.

When I post the same op but click the "output arc moves for helixes" box i get the following error in there error file:

04 May 2015 02:36:30 PM - RUN TIME -PST(951)- Unable to open the sub file: \\server\users\Jeremy\My Documents\my mcamx8\Mill\NC\helix.ext. Value associated with issue: 3.

How can I make it output the 3d arcs?

much obliged for any help!