Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis drilling backplot error

mikenaturalice

Has anyone seen the backplot for 5 axis drilling run completely through the part and then flip the tool 180degrees (inside the part) and do the same on the opposite side of part?? I have been working with my reseller and he is stumped, calling Mastercam now to hopefully get an answer. Oddly, His part is fine, and he even sent me the part he did and when I backplot I get the same thing (tool running completely thru). Hopefully you can see my backplot options and let me know if something looks off. My reseller compared his settings to mine and they are the same.

post-51233-0-46042000-1430408178_thumb.png

Oh, forgot to mention, the machine simulation looks fine, it spots, retracts, indexes and spots again no problem. The code also looks fine, but the verify shows the tool and holder going through the part just like the backplot. I do have my verify set to 5 axis as well.

It was off, I tried turning it on and had the same effect. Thanks for the help though. It seems to be a problem with my system at this point. My reseller file that I sent him backplots fine, but I got the same weird behavior when I opened his file. I sent it to Mastercam on his (my reseller) request and they said I needed to set a safety zone. Two problems I saw with this, well 3 actually, 1) his file backplotted fine without a safety zone 2) the safety zone defaulted with the tool running underneath the part (maybe a setting I had screwed up) 3) When I did get a safety zone set up properly the machine sim showed a very jerky motion as the tool was moving up and down in Z as the trunnion was rotating to the other side of the part. Not sure what the code looked like for that as I did not try posting since it looked so bad visually.

p.s. wcs, tool, and construction are all set to top

Have you tried changing the C and T plane to align with the 1st cut?

:thumbsup:  I changed them all to front and it backplotted correctly!! I ran the machine sim but got an error saying it only supported the top plane (or something like that). I then changed them all back to top and it backplotted correctly ...  :question: 

Thanks for the help!

:thumbsup:  I changed them all to front and it backplotted correctly!! I ran the machine sim but got an error saying it only supported the top plane (or something like that). I then changed them all back to top and it backplotted correctly ...  :question:

Thanks for the help!

Yes part of the fun with Mastercam. Will get these ghosts as I call them in a file. By doing what you did you seems to clear them out. Short of starting from scratch play with things like that and they seem to go away. Explain all of this to someone and they think you are crazy. Then you see it and go hum, okay whatever works.

Yes part of the fun with Mastercam. Will get these ghosts as I call them in a file. By doing what you did you seems to clear them out. Short of starting from scratch play with things like that and they seem to go away. Explain all of this to someone and they think you are crazy. Then you see it and go hum, okay whatever works.

Speaking of ghosts... I backplotted after the change then switched them all back to top and backplotted again and all was good. I copied the toolpath to do the drilling and BAM, back to the same weird backplot. I posted the code and it is fine... oh well, hope to see X9 soon!  :fun: