Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fadal Video monitor not working

Ron

My schools Fadal 4020 VMC (around '89) video monitor or something connected with it has ceased working. All we are getting are random dots on the screen. We have tried shutting off power and powering back up but still random dots. Has this happened to anyone and does anyone have any good suggestions that does not involve shooting the thing?

Thanks in advance.

Ron,

Are you are talking about the crt on the machine. I had a Compumill with a Dynapath 20 control that lost the crt a few times. $1500 a pop for a new one. I brought it to my local TV repair shop. Fixed it for $35. The control vibrating over the years broke the leads on tall components on the board. ( coils,capacitors,etc.)

Ron

I used to work on Radar years ago...

Open up the control, and use a flashlight to see if anything is burned. Also, use your nose to smell for burned components.

The most common problems are:

1. Broken wires

2. Something in the power supply

The important thing in troubleshooting is focusing on the simple and obvious first; that's 90% of the problems.

If you see a resistor that has fried, etc., you've likely isolated your problem to that area. Keep in mind though that blowing a capacitor or frying a resisitor will usually take out some other less tolerant components, such as IC's, SCR's, or others.

If you're wanting to really scrimp $$$ I don't see any problem taking this approach first, and even taking it to a TV repair shop.

[ 11-12-2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

Ron,

Power the machine up and referance as you always do, then goto MDI and type something into the control. IE: G00 G91 X-5.0

You've done this enough to know what your doing without a screen. smile.gif

This will give an indication of what problems are present - hope it helps.

Regards, Jack

[ 11-13-2003, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]