Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help with roughing stock.

Rocky16

Hi, 

I have finished op1, I verified OP1 and save .stl file as stock for op2. I try to use stock for op2 as rough stock when I am using surface rough or surface rough rest mill. Anyone can help with it.

I am newbie in 5 axis, so if you have any idea to help my program look better, I am very thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sc1n9wmou47iiqx/112A2511-4_16-1_CFEH.rar?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk429b5ryerq8ce/stock%20op2.rar?dl=0

• Like 1

I just went thru all this. Under toolpaths menu, about 2/3 down, is a red stock model tool path.

I know, dumb as that is. Import your stl, orient it properly if it needs it, click stock toolpath, click solid model, then select the stl on the screen.

In the rest toolpath, select trim to stock as one other operation and pick the stock tool path you just created.

Also, name it as what op stock it is. Then to verify, you click the backplot/verify option buttons right beside the g1/post button. Near the bottom of that window, click stock model, select the named stock you want and now verify is ready to go.

I have files with many many ops. So I create and extra group at the top and keep all my stock tool paths in it so I don't have to dig even time I make a change and need to redo a stock op. I generally try to avoid changing stocks but on 60 to 80 hour parts you sometimes just miss stuff. Also don't delete old stl... you may want to go back to it.

All I can think is the path is wrong. Turn off all layers except the one solid you want to verify. I always have bazillions of layers and turn everything off except the solid I'm verifying. Verify shows what ever is on the screen when you click it.

Post a file, some one will have a look.

Thanks for help.

So I mean how to avoid air cutting tool path when I am using rough pocket or rough rest mill for op2. When i am making rough surface, I realize that tool have many air cutting. Tool cut the material  has milled in OP1. Thank for your reading 

After you verify your first op, do file, save stl and name it something you can remember/find.

Under the toolpaths tab, click on "stock" it's a red box looking icon. click on "file" in the dialog and pick the stl you saved.

Now in your rest path, pick trim to one other path and pick that stock path you just created.

Set you lead in/out and it make chips on the first entry.

Since I figured that out, I'm digging mcam.

I create a crap load of stock models. You'll get the hang of it.

I'm not at work, jparis, could you upload that file you tweaked for me?

Ok I took you first file took op one created a Stock model then took you first op being op40 turned this to a optirest and selected the stock model I made. No STL needed. now I taking this op40 and using the stock model from op1 to run this bath over to see it cut. Do you want me to save this and post it?

post-1097-0-89212000-1430879667_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...