Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4-axis rotary toolpath question

mattyr82

Hi guys,

Im using Mastercam X4, and trying to do a 4-axis rotary toolpath. I can get the toolpath to work fine, except that the cutter always starts on the right hand end of my job and runs right to left. How can I change the direction of the cut to run left to right? Thanks for any advice.

Matt

Typically I do not like to use the 4th axis Rotary path because of very limited control in the tool path.

For something that the 4th axis tool path may be a good fit, I will use a 5 axis multi-surf

I will make a simple cylinder and use that as the pattern and tool axis control surface, then I will pick the surface I actually want cut and comp to surface....

2015-06-23_7-18-46_zpsgaqluv42.jpg

2015-06-23_7-29-24_zpsujbn0hfq.jpg

If you are familiar with the flowline tool path your step & direction can be control led the same way

2015-06-23_7-29-45_zps17e6yezi.jpg

2015-06-23_7-30-15_zpsgc3uqx77.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8h8bxiom2dqv9k/MULTI-SURF%20SAMPLE.MCX?dl=0

John funny how so many people limit themselves to what they can see and not think out of the box to use what they can't see. Good example. I will do the same thing to cut STL shapes. One of the folks at CNC Software showed me how to use it and makes cutting STL files pretty easy. Good work and thanks for posting that up. Problem is this thread my get 20 looks.

• Like 1

this might be a silly question but what if you don't have the 5ax multi surf option.I tried this and got a 5ax option not available contact reseller.Is there a reasonably good way of doing it with 4ax rotary

Color me confused, I didn't think you could have the 4th Axis Rotary option without having the multi-axis add-on....

I know you can have a separate 5 axis curve & 5 axis drill without the full multi-axis option but I thought that was it

Color me confused, I didn't think you could have the 4th Axis Rotary option without having the multi-axis add-on....

I know you can have a separate 5 axis curve & 5 axis drill without the full multi-axis option but I thought that was it

sorry you may be right I am not a rotary expert but it does interest me so I tried what you said and got that message.We do some rotary here but its just index then machine I am afraid some day we will get a job like your example and not be able to do it

sorry you may be right I am not a rotary expert but it does interest me so I tried what you said and got that message.We do some rotary here but its just index then machine I am afraid some day we will get a job like your example and not be able to do it

When and if that day arrives, that'll be the day you have to upgrade and still have the job done yesterday  :)

I know how that goes

what does that message mean is that some sort of add on that needs to be purchased from reseller because if so I need to talk to my boss

Yes....That means you don't own the Multi-axis add-on

In Mill 2D & Mill 3D you have the ability for rotary positioning, using Axis substitution you can get some kind of rotary motion but it's limited......for full 4th axis you need the multi-axis option