Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Difference between tool library and database?

Radical1

Hello all, I am working with M/C X5 (I know its old) and  trying to setup a tool library from existing tools and operations that have already been tweaked for speeds and feeds. Is there a way to do that easily?

Second question is what is the difference between a tool library and a tool database?

Richard

At the X5 level, the only real difference between .tool & db is it is a different file system.

The only way I am aware to use tools already defined in files is to go through those file and save the tooling into a library.

What about X8/9?

in X8/X9 they are far more functional and they are also required....in X8 any updated .tools file will becasue a .db file

But now you can save them as assemblies, bring them in as assemblies and the OP's no longer drop holders from OP to OP

You can now in X9 save your tools with SFM & CPT tooth settings, not previously available

It is FAR more functional now that was it in earlier versions

I just realized not too long ago that my X8 install is using a .tools-6 library that is located in the X8 shared tools folder. I updated folders from X6 to X8 (I skipped X7) when I installed X8. Not sure what happened there. Everything seems to work fine, but it's something that I should get straightened out. There is also a tools-6.tooldb file in the shared folder as well.

Any idea on how to get this back in order?

If you really think it's using the tools-6 file which it does look as though it can.....

I would open the tools-6.db verify it's good, then just delete the tools tools-6 file and re-associate machine defs to the db file as you use them and and save them....

If you plan on saving and using assemblies, you will need to be using the .db files

I'm certain that it's using the tools-6 file. The tools-6.db file looks outdated. Is there a way to convert (if that's the correct terminology) the tools-6 to a db file? Also, shouldn't it be tools-8.db?

I have no need for assemblies where I work now.

I'm certain that it's using the tools-6 file. The tools-6.db file looks outdated. Is there a way to convert (if that's the correct terminology) the tools-6 to a db file? Also, shouldn't it be tools-8.db?

I have no need for assemblies where I work now.

Yes, you can update it.......using the migration, I would ONLY the files type(tool  libraries) select the version(X6) you want updated.

No, the name is correct...it's taking the existing file name, converting and saving with the new .db extension