Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do I tell if my version of X9 is 3D capable?

MILLRUNNER

I just got my new 64bit machine at work yesterday with X9 installed. I am looking through the software trying to familiarize myself with it. I came from X5, so obviously a big jump.

I was talking with someone at my reseller a few months ago, and if I understood him correctly, he said that that X9 is all new and most basic 3D milling can be done in it. I was asking because I don't think my version of X5 was capabale of it, or that was a feature that was not purchased or somehting.

Excuse my ignornance of the software. I have never done any 3D milling and I'd really like to try.

I searched for 3D threads here but could not get results to come up, although I'm sure there are plenty here.

Just curious how I might tell exactly what level my X9 is at (if it has levels) or if someone can explain this to me.

I appreciate it.

I seem to have all the same toolpaths like yours in your drop down. I guess that means I'm full 3D?

I'm trying my best to customize my workspace and get it back to the way I had my X5 setup. Unfortunately, I'm not the best at remembering all the technical steps of setting up the machine definitions and control definitions.

I will have to wait until monday to talk to the reseller about getting it set up.

I normally don't have but about 15 buttons in the top bar. I access anything else I need by the drop downs. Right now, I'm still on the default, which is like 100 buttons up there.

If you had a Mill 1, you will only be able to do single surface 3D work.....

1 surface at a time......it can be tedious.....

I will say, most people that bought Mill 2, pretty quickly upgraded to Mill 3.....

You "can" do a lot with single surface machining if you want to take the time and the geometry allows you to create a single surface from multiple faces.

That's hos A LOT of the "old school" 3D work got done

Yeah, I've been limited by software level before.  Created loads and loads of geo and became a master of containment.  Time creating geo and surfaces cost way more than the next level of software.

You'll probably get the most use out of flowline, contour and parallel in that package.

I made you a quick file but apparently i'm out of space and don't have permission to delete uploads.

"How do I tell if my version of X9 is 3D capable?"

Launch X9 and in the Help dropdown, choose "About"

When the "Help/About" dialog comes up, click on the "License" button.

The dialog that comes up next will report the products that you are enabled to use.

Mill 3D means you can run all the 3D toolpath functionality.

Close that dialog to return to Mastercam

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I did not think I should start a new thread.

I'm still trying to grasp the concept of exactly how 3D stuff works, so bear with me.

I do have Mill level 1, which has limited tool paths. If there is a way for me to do single surfaces or one area at a time, I am willing to try it. Problem is, I need to know where to start.

I know that most of these parts are based on 3D geometry or solid models. If I am only in Mill level 1, I don't think I can actually draw things in 3D. But if i have a solid model, will Mastercam open the file? Like say a file from Solidworks?

I guess this will be a starting point.

I just got my new 64bit machine at work yesterday with X9 installed. I am looking through the software trying to familiarize myself with it. I came from X5, so obviously a big jump.

I was talking with someone at my reseller a few months ago, and if I understood him correctly, he said that that X9 is all new and most basic 3D milling can be done in it. I was asking because I don't think my version of X5 was capabale of it, or that was a feature that was not purchased or somehting.

Excuse my ignornance of the software. I have never done any 3D milling and I'd really like to try.

I searched for 3D threads here but could not get results to come up, although I'm sure there are plenty here.

Just curious how I might tell exactly what level my X9 is at (if it has levels) or if someone can explain this to me.

I appreciate it.

One thing you'll love jumping from X5 to X9 is all the new bugs.

Solids in X9 is no longer and add-on, so you  have the ability to solid model.....

In Mill 1 you could Always draw in 3D it was just wireframe and surfaces though if you didn't have solids.

Yes, you can open and manipulate a solid in X9...

In X8 and earlier if you did not have models, you could still import it, you just had to work around it a bit differently as you couldn't move it

It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools

Ok, I have a solid model open in x9. It is a Solidworks file, and I assume it is now a Mastercam file.

Where would I start on doing this?

For what it is worth, if there is a video or a tutorial somewhere, I'd be glad to go there instead of pester you all. lol

I can send the file and also talk with someone on the phone if need be as well.

Ok, I have a solid model open in x9. It is a Solidworks file, and I assume it is now a Mastercam file.

For what it is worth, if there is a video or a tutorial somewhere, I'd be glad to go there instead of pester you all. lol

In all honesty, if you are just dumbfounded on where to even start....give your reseller a call...

We used to get people started on projects like this...

Youtube Rocks!!!

We sell a couple of books that deal with importing geometry created in other CAD packages like SolidWorks.

http://www.emastercam.com/board/store/product/1037-mastercam-x9-cad-import-mill-essentials-toolpaths-tutorial-print-pdf-combo/

http://www.emastercam.com/board/store/product/1038-mastercam-x9-cad-import-mill-advanced-toolpaths-tutorial-print-pdf-combo/

They might be able to help you get started. Each package has a link to a free sample PDF that shows what's all covered in the book and how we approach the material. Might be worth taking a look at. The new Print + PDF Combos we offer will have a printed book shipped to you while you are given immediate access to a full colour PDF version of the book you can read right away and even after the printed book arrives you can keep the PDF as a digital backup or use it for portable access without needing to carry the book everywhere.

But like others have said, training with your reseller is a good option.