Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help with creating a mold for plastic injection

threetwothree

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing an internship with a university in Mexico, and i don't want to be rude, but my boss is a dick and doesn't care at all about the project, but I do not want to go home to australia with nothing to show for my work. So, throughout the entire internship i've been teaching myself everything as my 'mentor' does nothing to help or teach me.

Anyway, I'm really struggling to find tutorials/or figure out how to use mastercam to create my mold. The tutorials I've found to be the best are (

)

but I can't figure out how to apply the knowledge to my design.

If anyone could help, I would hugely appreciate it!

I only have 3 weeks left here and it's been a huge waste of time if I have nothing to show for my time here

Thanks heaps guys :)

Joe

(I've attached the files)

V6 TOP.MCX-7

V6 BOTTOM.MCX-7

• Like 1

YOU WONT TO MAKE SHOW ONLY ON MASTERCAM ,OR SET UP ON SOME MACHINE ????

I want to write a CNC code to machine this mold. The model you can see is what the finished product of the plastic injection mold will look like, so what i actually need is to create the mold of this part.

I think the problem is I cannot select edges on my model for some reason. I'm trying to research now if this is a software issue or something else I'm doing wrong

hey guys, the more and more i read, including your post Bubbles regarding the machine, the more i realise my supervisor is a dick and doesn't care about this at all.

For example, I didn't even know what was information I needed to know.

I know it will be machined from aluminium (but i don't know what type)

I will find out all the machine details

Is there anything else I should ask?

I'm going now with a list of questions which I'm going to force him to answer.

Thanks heaps guys i really appreciate your help.

Also, master80 i will try to open your file, but is there any way you coudl save it as an earlier version of x7 so I can take a look at it?

Really SUPER appreciative thankyou guys

He only speaks spanish, so it's difficult to commmunicate, but this is ALL the information I have...

Machine type:

Mill

3 axis

Uses Mach3 Software

Material Type:

Aluminium 1087 or 2024

G-code:

Yes we will run it

Drill bit:

Flat onventionl style drill bit (Diameter = 1.5875mm OR 1/16")

HSS Material

He only speaks spanish, so it's difficult to commmunicate, but this is ALL the information I have...

Machine type:

Mill

3 axis

Uses Mach3 Software

Material Type:

Aluminium 1087 or 2024

G-code:

Yes we will run it

Drill bit:

Flat onventionl style drill bit (Diameter = 1.5875mm OR 1/16")

HSS Material

Do you have a proven post processor for the machine?

I think the problem is I cannot select edges on my model for some reason. I'm trying to research now if this is a software issue or something else I'm doing wrong

It's important to know the difference between a solid and surfaces. The part you have up there is not a solid, but instead is a bunch of surfaces. In order to drive toolpaths from it, you'll want to use the SOLIDS dropdown and select "from surfaces."

You'd also have to convert it to a solid in order to make a mold cavity from it.

Cheers Felis, you were correct even though I only just saw this!

OK so I have an update.

Machine type:

Mill

3 axis

Uses Mach3 Software

Material Type:

Aluminium 1087 or 2024

G-code:

Yes we will run it

Drill bit:

Flat conventionl style drill bit (Diameter = 1.5875mm OR 1/16", Length = 15.25mm OR )

HSS Material

These are my MOLDS. I realise there are some areas which will not be possible to machine (for example all the edges, and some internal dimensions, due to the diameter of the drill bit), but at this stage I'm not worrying about it, I just want to create a tool path as best as possible, and if some sections cannot be created to the shown size (for example the thin cavity which goes around the whole mold in Bottom Mold v6 (Part1), it's not a problem. I only have a week to complete it so if I try to re-design now, i'm screwed

Thanks again for any input guys, can't stress anough how much i appreciate the community help

Top Mold v6 (part1).sldprt

Top Mold v6 (part2).sldprt

Top Mold v6 (part3).sldprt

Bottom Mold v6 (part1).sldprt

Bottom Mold v6 (part2).sldprt