Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X9 4 axis issues, WCS awareness?

Jaz

A 4 axis VMC project was done in X8 and works fine.  When I bring it into X9, I cannot seem to get the 4th axis tool paths to regenerate correctly (they are all dirty due to new 'WCS awareness') I am using WCS and tool planes a couple of hundred inches from MC and rotated. When I just regenerate a path I get no 4 axis motion. I remember we had to fudge the machine definition and rotation axis to get it to do right in X8 so I made changes to see what I can do. Everything I try seems to get no B motion or way wrong, almost looks like it is trying  to reference MC planes instead of WCS and TP. If I regenerate in 5axis, everything looks as expected, but I can't use that.  What am I missing?

Attached is a file with a couple of tool paths the way they come into MC X9.

t.mcx-9

Here is the reply I got back from CNC:

Swarf 5-axis is one of our Legacy toolpaths that does not work very well when way out in space and rotated around thru creating a new plane . This toolpath likes to be used in as close to the world view as possible. Swarf 5-axis is in the plans to be upgraded to be more User friendly like you are trying to do.

So, it's broken now.  Moving the part only fixes one operation and the other positions won't work correctly. I will either have to reprogram with different tool paths or leave existing parts in X8.

Hey Jaz,

I just saw this thread, so I had a chat with the Tech Support guy you had emailed with. He had a misunderstanding about what was going on.  This is a defect that we are currently looking into, and it should work correctly the way you had it (except that you would need to rotate around the Y axis, not the X in this case per your WCS orientation). 

This only affects these toolpaths locked to 4 axis and using a WCS other than TOP. 

Unfortunately for the moment there is no work around in X9 other than to position the part correctly relative to the TOP WCS.  I'm hoping to have it fixed soon and then to port it back to X9 at the next update.  If you want to follow along with its' progress, reference bug D-17984.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,