Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Zoom jerky

Andy

So, I have this intermittent problem that drives me nuts.

The problem is easily detected when trying to zoom with the page up/dn keys.

When everything is working correctly the zoom is fast and smooth. I can also multisask with no problems. But, when it is not working correctly, the zoom is slow and jerky (step step step step).

As best as I can tell it acts like the cpu is busy with something else and is sharing time.

The computer is on all the time, but when I have to soft or hard boot it the problem appears and stays.

In the past I could "fix it" by CTL ALT DEL and end all tasks except explorer and then let it sit over night when Scheduled Tasks and Tune up run at 2:00 AM. and in the morning it would be fast again.

This method hasn't been working this week.

Help anyone?

Andy

Intel CPU 800 mhz

Win ME

Rage 128 Video

256 ram

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

How has your power been? Any brown-outs, black-outs lately?

I had a power problem two months ago and my system was kinda screwy(sp?) for a few days afterwords that it was OK so I don't know what happened. Go figure.

Personally, I shut down my system at night because of the power situation even though I have a UPS that will shut down my PC automatically.

------------------

James Meyette ;)

Andy,

I'll bet you anything its your video card.

Mastercam does not like ATI cards.

There are 2 dll files in the MC8 directory

that are Open GL drivers. One of them is

GL32.dll. The other is Open32.dll or something like that. If you rename them

(gl32.old etc) or delete them it may help.

Windows won't let you do either if MC is running.

The best solution is to replace the video card. I recently bought a 3dLabs VX-1

($165) and it solved numerous minor problems.

If you are using a Logitech mouse try uninstalling Mouseware.

My laptop has an ATI video card. Deleting the OpenGl drivers made it useable for MC.

Then I bought a new Logitech tracball.

I was having all sorts of new trouble till

I unistalled Mouseware 8.2 which came with the trackball.

I replaced the Logitech Trackball with a

Microsoft trackball (and MS mouse drivers)

and my laptop can run Mastercam again.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by gcode (edited 04-06-2001).]

Humm

On one of my laptops, "Win98 pIII 900 256 meger"I have a cheap ati card . ATI Tech -Enhanced chip Mach64: LTPro. And Mastercam Hates it !! Turned down the acceleration to zero & adjust display to 1024X786. & Mastercam runs ok. I didnt delete the gl32 & open32 dll*.* shading works fine

Its really hard getting lap video cards that will fit yer laptop.

Kenneth Potter

just so you know that leaving win98 or ME on all the time causes problems.

you should full reboot at least once a day with those OS systems to clear them so they will stay stable.

i don't exactly relate this to your problem but might cause some.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

Trevor, Yes I agree and would shut down my computer but as I said above that everytime I do MC Zoom is jerky for a day or two until I can get it smooth again. After I solve this problem I will shut down regularly.

Thanks,

Andy

Im going to try the different video card soon.

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill

Andy,

Almost any software you run will "NOT" have problems that come and go. If a problem is in the software, it will always be there. The problem with your system is not Mastercam. Have you tried only running Mastercam by itself? Check your video card settings. It took me a while to get my Matrox working well. How many partions do you have on your system? If more than one, is there enough memory allocated to each and specifically the one for Mastercam.

There are a number of things in your system itself that could be causing the problem. Make a note of exactly what you have running and so forth, then try to duplicate it on consecutive days. Once you have narrowed it down, call your system support guy or the manufacturer of your system. I bet they will be able to help.

------------------

Trevor Bailey

[email protected]

Specializing in Contract Programming

Hi Trevor,

Yes, I know my problem is not MC.

In essence, I am using MC to test my system with the Zoom problem.

As a matter of fact if I didn't have MC, I might not even know that I had a problem.

Yes, I run MC strictly by itself, no multi tasking. One hard drive One partition.

I have changed the video card settings and it never has improved it.

As I said before, the only time It runs badly is after a boot, soft or hard.

And the only way I have ever been able to improve it is by running "tune up" and "scheduled tasks" and then only when it sits on overnight and those tasks run in the middle of the night. And that only works most of the time, not every time. It is really agrivating not to know what causes it, and worse, not to be able to give a tech more information than is evident. Once it is running good, if I dont shut down the computer, it stays good. But sooner or later I have to boot , for other reasons, and have to deal with it again.

Frustrating!!!

Andy

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill