Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Running WIN ME with Mastercam

cadcam

How many of you are running Mastercam with Win ME?

If so are you haveing any problems?

i have herd all of poeple complane about WINME so i was wondering if it has issues for you let's bring up here for the other MC users that might be running in to problems..

i run WIN2k but all so have one computer that i run WIN ME but do not run MC on it at this time..

but might need to try some testing.

Also how about a P4 i have one here i was going to try mastercam on..

i know my my PIII 1gig runs great.

well lets see what this brings around.

thanks for your time all.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

In my opinion,it is not a very good idea to use WIN-ME at all.

I had a lot of crashes,when using it.

Win-ME suppose to give you more enterteiment and microsoft developed the plug&play, and some other things that good for playing games.

I also had some problems with win98.(not as mouch has i had in ME).

Now i'm using NT workstation.and it works great.no crashes at all.

I have heard from people in my area using ME and not to many are happy with it. As Rekd said in an earlier posting, there seems to be a resource problem when running MC. Basically, I hear that MC crashes. Sooooo, I ask the person, "What are you doing, can you duplicate it, etc..." The bottom line is that I have never gotten a straight answer as to why the system crashes. "It just does." The only true problem that I have personnally seen so far is the resource issue.

------------------

Trevor Bailey

[email protected]

Specializing in Contract Programming

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

IMHO, running "Mission Critical" applications(Applications that you absolutely rely on for your business to run effectively) on anything onther than Windows NT or Windows 2000 is not the most prudent thing to do.

With NT and 2000 you get a more stable platform in which you get more system uptime, more stable operation and you even get de-bug tools if you do happen to encounter a problem.

Granted, NT 4.0 is more difficult to setup for the computer novice than say a Windows 9x/ME or even 2000 but it is very stable once you get it setup. Windows 2000 on the other hand has the stability of NT AND the Plug and Play of 9x/ME. Case in point, I have been running 2000 since October. I just got a new PC and I swapped out my SCSI HDD from my old system and put it into my new system. The only hardware that was the same was my Video Card (Matrox Millenium G400). My NIC, Sound, CD-ROM, Motherboard, etc...(you get the picture) were different. It took only 3 reboots for 2000 to re-configure itself for the new system. Not bad, not bad at all. NT would've choked on that one pretty good. Shoot, if you decide to re-arrange even your cards in an NT system after they've been installed and working, that can cause you system to hang pretty hard and this is because NT is not a plug and play OS.

Just my $.02

------------------

James Meyette ;)

FYI:

Microsoft OS product lineage

----------------------------

Windows 3.1 -> 95 (aka Windows 4.0) -> 95 OSR2 (usb support) -> 98 -> 98SE (bugfixes) -> ME (elimination of most DOS stuff) -> Windows XP (codename Whistler)

NT 3.51 -> NT 4.0 (95 style interface) -> NT 4.0 sp3 (cdr support, pnp) -> NT 4.0 sp6a (latest bugfix release) -> Win2k Pro -> Windows XP (codename Whistler)

Notice how XP will replace NT *and* windows. It's about time.