Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FINISHING KICKED WALLS

justchips

I have a feature I was playing around with machining. The walls are kicked 8 degrees from the floor. I tried to use a 3d contour with the ball mill but i kept getting gouges in the floor. Is there a better way to finish this wall with a surface tool path? This is the first time I've machined a feature like this? 

MORPHED

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6pf2f99t5topr3/KICKED%20WALLS.mcx-9?dl=0

You didn't use any collision controls in the toolpath so the toolpaths cut ti like you told it to. The collision controls allow you a lot of power on toolpaths that see them that other toolpaths don't. You can have drive surface collision checking. Yes this toolpath from what I understand will gouge the surface you are cutting if you done use it. You can have Tilt Collision for avoiding the shank. shaft and holder. Then you have have 2 different check surfaces amounts. Have one suing .001 with certain surfaces and .005 with others. Sky is the limit and need to remember there is about 4 X 17, 4 x 6, 1 and 1 options to choose from for each one collision checking Status you choose to use. You did about everything you can do with that toolpath for what you are trying to accomplish.

Having said that I would not use that toolpath to accomplish that type of machining. I would use the upper edge of the radius. I would drive a 3D contour using that chain on the solid no geometry creation needed. You only get incremental as the option for a 3D toolpath. I would use a -R of the tool and then maybe do a finish pass of .001 to get a new money look on the radius and have a nice day. That is assuming the wall is normal all the way around. (Sorry took a quick look)

If the wall is not normal then you swarf and have a nice day. Also swarf will work if the wall is normal all the way around. Overall might be the best toolpath to use here is the New Swarf. No Geometry creation needed.

You didn't use any collision controls in the toolpath so the toolpaths cut ti like you told it to. The collision controls allow you a lot of power on toolpaths that see them that other toolpaths don't. You can have drive surface collision checking. Yes this toolpath from what I understand will gouge the surface you are cutting if you done use it. You can have Tilt Collision for avoiding the shank. shaft and holder. Then you have have 2 different check surfaces amounts. Have one suing .001 with certain surfaces and .005 with others. Sky is the limit and need to remember there is about 4 X 17, 4 x 6, 1 and 1 options to choose from for each one collision checking Status you choose to use. You did about everything you can do with that toolpath for what you are trying to accomplish.

Having said that I would not use that toolpath to accomplish that type of machining. I would use the upper edge of the radius. I would drive a 3D contour using that chain on the solid no geometry creation needed. You only get incremental as the option for a 3D toolpath. I would use a -R of the tool and then maybe do a finish pass of .001 to get a new money look on the radius and have a nice day. That is assuming the wall is normal all the way around. (Sorry took a quick look)

If the wall is not normal then you swarf and have a nice day. Also swarf will work if the wall is normal all the way around. Overall might be the best toolpath to use here is the New Swarf. No Geometry creation needed.

this is 3d contour walls are straight all around floor is on 8 deg. angle. 

will any other tool path put out nice step overs respecting the floors to clean up any cusp left from the bull nose end-mill finishing the floor?

post-48775-0-60949500-1453152751_thumb.png