Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The "Cloud"

Chap54

Does anyone here use the "cloud" for their computers at work? I am having all kinds of issues with lag, and I am guessing it has to do with programs our IT guy has set up to stay running in the background, whether or not I am using them. The latest is an Adobe editor that I use sometimes when making op sheets, and the lag is really annoying.

Thanks, Chap

Does anyone here use the "cloud" for their computers at work? I am having all kinds of issues with lag, and I am guessing it has to do with programs our IT guy has set up to stay running in the background, whether or not I am using them. The latest is an Adobe editor that I use sometimes when making op sheets, and the lag is really annoying.

Thanks, Chap

Have you tried Foxit reader for your PDF files? It's much faster than Adobe, and it's free.

• Like 1

"Cloud" services are applications that run on another company's servers and are generally accessible over the internet. There are a lot of different kinds of lag and your IT guy is the person most capable of figuring out what the issue is.

Are you using Adobe Acrobat or are you referring to the PDF file format? If you're using a free PDF editor it's very likely that the one you picked is just a piece of crap. The market for cheap PDF editors is literally flooded with junk of questionable quality. Pay for an Acrobat license.

Cloud is evil and should be avoided at all costs.  If it's running on someone else's computer then you have given up control of everything, including your proprietary data.

Although some terms of service agreements may have been vague in the past, this is a complete hyperbole. Most agreements I have read explicitly state that you retain ownership of your data, although you may be giving certain rights to the service provider. Even if you can not use a service provider like Google or Amazon because of contractual obligations or restrictions in your business model, you can fairly easily host your own "cloud" services using your own hardware at your company. Cloud computing is more or less just a colloquialism for applications built using a service-oriented architecture. We've been using systems like this for a very long time anyway

No we are using the Adobe Editor, Adobe Acrobat DC.  I didn't mean to focus on that one program, was just using it as an example. I was thinking that having too many programs running in the background, and some of those being tied to a cloud server somewhere would cause lag issues with my computer. It is one sorry xxxx box. 

No we are using the Adobe Editor, Adobe Acrobat DC.  I didn't mean to focus on that one program, was just using it as an example. I was thinking that having too many programs running in the background, and some of those being tied to a cloud server somewhere would cause lag issues with my computer. It is one sorry xxxx box. 

It would only slow down the program that is tied to the cloud server rather than the whole computer. I'd look for malware, check if your anti-virus is set to overdrive, look large-footprint browser extensions, and check memory utilization, probably in that order. If it's an older computer adding a solid state drive can be helpful. If you want to measure the network traffic on your computer there is a simple tool named Glasswire