Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Filter for 2D HSM toolpath

AMCNitro

When I'm roughing I usually stay somewhere around .002 to .005" tolerance if I leave plenty of rough stock.  Turning on the Arc filter will greatly shorten the processed toolpath, and in most cases run much better.

All kind of depends on your machine, toolpath, and what your cutting.

Cut tolerance is only how much you are allowing the toolpath to deviate from a "perfect" line/arc/whatever. So if you left .001 stock remaining and a cut tolerance of .005 you run the chance of gouging the part. Generally I will not exceed half of my stock to leave as my cut tolerance because of this.

If you are looking to reduce the file size you want to enable "Line/Arc Filter Setting". You can start with enabling that and move the slider to the middle and usually get good results.

Good Luck

post-17552-0-76217500-1454696042_thumb.jpg

When I'm roughing I usually stay somewhere around .002 to .005" tolerance if I leave plenty of rough stock.  Turning on the Arc filter will greatly shorten the processed toolpath, and in most cases run much better.

All kind of depends on your machine, toolpath, and what your cutting.

I use it all the time, Im just trying to learn what can be done if we deviate from the 1:1, 2:1 and 3:1 settings.  In my experience there's not much difference between 2:1 and 3:1, and I seem to get better results from 2:1.  

Cut tolerance is only how much you are allowing the toolpath to deviate from a "perfect" line/arc/whatever. So if you left .001 stock remaining and a cut tolerance of .005 you run the chance of gouging the part. Generally I will not exceed half of my stock to leave as my cut tolerance because of this.

If you are looking to reduce the file size you want to enable "Line/Arc Filter Setting". You can start with enabling that and move the slider to the middle and usually get good results.

Good Luck

I never thought about it like that, and makes a lot of sense.  I always leave at least .01 of stock when roughing, sometimes more.  On one of my machines file size needs to be kept small, but Im more concern with the smoothness of the toolpath, as this machine doesnt have high speed milling capabilities, and Ive found that the filter helps a ton with that.  Im just trying to learn ways to make it even smoother

post-65454-0-48336200-1454696728_thumb.png

Yeah if it doesnt have HSM options the only thing I'm aware of is the filter tolerance and cut tolerance within MCX so you are stuck there.... Ive ran some older machines that didnt like crunching numbers and it turned out to be quicker using rapid Z retracts instead of a microlift with a high back feed rate just because it would never reach 500IPM between all the points.

• Like 1