Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reseller run around?

So I contacted my re-seller yesterday, chatted briefly on the phone and was told he'd send me a link to the post processor guide and the powerpoint presentation on setting up a 5 axis (well, 3+2) post for our horizontals (B and A, but we run them with a 90.### offset in B axis and program the A as C axis, but use the A adress [don't judge, I just started here a few weeks ago]).

What I got in the email 5 hours later was a disclaimer, a statement saying that while I'm welcome to create my own posts, they will not be supported, and then a link to a couple sales brochures.

Is there any other literature out besides what is available from my reseller? Cause I don't want to spend a month going through this song and dance only to have them eventually offer to sell me a .pdf file.

-------------------

Just got another email from them with the files. Yay. Educated guesswork is better than the alternative.

Edited by Ewood42

So I contacted my re-seller yesterday, chatted briefly on the phone and was told he'd send me a link to the post processor guide and the powerpoint presentation on setting up a 5 axis (well, 3+2) post for our horizontals (B and A, but we run them with a 90.### offset in B axis and program the A as C axis, but use the A adress [don't judge, I just started here a few weeks ago]).

What I got in the email 5 hours later was a disclaimer, a statement saying that while I'm welcome to create my own posts, they will not be supported, and then a link to a couple sales brochures.

Is there any other literature out besides what is available from my reseller? Cause I don't want to spend a month going through this song and dance only to have them eventually offer to sell me a .pdf file.

-------------------

Just got another email from them with the files. Yay. Educated guesswork is better than the alternative.

So you have a full 4th horizontal with a 5th axis pointed towards the spindle??? Start with a vertical 5axis post with a y tilting axis. More information? 

one crash call easily cost 10 to 20x the price of a professionally built post

plus you can spend hundreds of hours screwing around with the post and hand editing

code that's not quite right.

if you don't know how to build a 5 axis post, you are not saving money with the do it yourself approach

• Like 2

Figured it out, just took a bit of screwing around. I did a little bit of post editing in college, but just barely scratched the surface back then. Got it working from the generic fanuc 5 axis post.

We're just using them as 3+2, so don't need them perfect, just need them to spit out the right codes. So far have 4 machines set up with their own uniqe posts - Kafo vertical with a axis, kafo horizontal with a+b, 3+2 mori seiki with breakage probe, and an OLD enshu horizontal 5 axis.

They said they wouldn't buy posts except for the new machine they're getting in a month, and everyone they had hired in the past just hand edited everything from a generic post to match each machine.

If they're willing to pay me to learn, why not take advantage of it? Haven't had a crash yet, but I also very carefully check all the code before sending it to the machine.