Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Convert Horizontal File to Vertical File

jaydenn

Morning,

I have a fully programmed job on a horizontal "B" axis.

Boss wants to duplicate the job on a vertical "A" axis.

Now, no special considerations were made when programming the original. No relative planes, nothing like that.

What is involved in converting this file? Are there any tricks?

I really don't know where to start.

It feels like I'm basically going to have to start over. Move everything to correct orientation, recreate planes, verify each op, etc, etc.

Is that correct?

JAY

It feels like I'm basically going to have to start over. Move everything to correct orientation, recreate planes, verify each op, etc, etc.

Is that correct?

Unfortunately, yes. You will basically have to re-program the job, and build new Planes for the operations to use. This is assuming that you are programming "horizontal" paths using Top/Front, like a "standard" Horizontal would be programmed inside Mastercam.

I do this all the time.  If I am in a hurry I will save a copy of the file under a new name (to leave the original intact), replace the machine for the operation groups in question, and dynamically rotate the planes to coincide with the VMC layout.  If the VMC needs to be programmed to COR you will need to translate the plane origins and reassign the depths in the operations otherwise the offset location delta can be calculated and the machine's DFO settings populated accordingly.

This can depend.....

If the HMC post is set up to rotate around the X axis instead of Z it can be done "fairly" quickly...if it's set up to rotate about Z, see above responses

What John said.

I do it often and I wish it was easier. Even between verticals with rotaries facing in different directions

If everything is coming off the COR, it should be a matter of transform function...but unfortunately it is NOT