Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using Taper Endmills On Deep Pocket Walls

Spotterhphc

So I’ve been researching toolpaths and have been messing around a little but can’t seem to get this toopath idea down. I’ve seen videos where guys will take a, say 5° taper mill (conical barrel cutter) and stub it up in the holder so they get maximum rigidity. Then they utilize the tapered flute for finishing the long walls instead of surfacing the whole thing with tiny step over/step downs. The tapered flute is parallel to the wall as if it were side cutting with a straight endmill.

I have copied below a hyperlink that shows what I’m talking about. Mastercam may use different terms. I realize the video is  a hyperMill advertisement but in a Mastercam “Whats new” video somewhere also shows this.

Just wanting to know if anyone has done this and if so what is a toolpath that works? I do have Multiaxis available to me.

At the 2min 30sec point, it will demonstrate what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow6JJhikolk

We are an aerospace company and lately the parts are requiring long tool reaches. Example: 3/4" EM 7" reach (wicked long). At that length nothing is rigid therefore cycle time goes way up due to slower feedrates. There has to be a different, more efficient way and this seems to be it. 

If anyone has an example ".mcx" file that would help tremendously.

P.S. I'm not asking you to solve all my problems, rather point me in a positive direction. 

Thanks for the input and the links. 

This is probably a stupid question that i should know the answer to but what is "ModuleWorks". I keep reading about it but haven't figured out if it's an option for Mastercam or if it is it's own Cam software. If this is a topic that's been covered then i'm sorry.

Thanks for the input and the links. 

This is probably a stupid question that i should know the answer to but what is "ModuleWorks". I keep reading about it but haven't figured out if it's an option for Mastercam or if it is it's own Cam software. If this is a topic that's been covered then i'm sorry.

ModuleWorks builds toolpath packages that they license to CAM vendors

Mastercam has legacy 5X tool paths they've developed in house

as well as advanced 5X tool paths the license from ModuleWorks