Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operations Manager Question?

slyym

I have a bunch of mill operations under a multus lathe machine group. We are now going to run the mill work on a regular 4th axis mill. I just realized that I might just have to redo all these operations because I cant seem to find a way to change from a lathe group to a mill group without losing all my operations so that I will have the correct post. Does anyone know around this or am I stuck redoing everything? Thanks.

• Like 4

Add a New Mill Machine group to the same file and load the desired machine def

Create the proper WCS for the milling and copy all your lathe milling ops to the mill group

If you used C axis milling and drilling in your lathe file, those ops may have to be done over

I don't think they will move to a mill machine def properly.

I always use the mill toolpaths only  for just this reason.

It makes it easier to switch from mill to mill/turn and back when the shop floor can't make up their mind where

a job is going to be run

• Like 2

Actually you can replace a lathe machine with a mill machine definition even if mastercam makes you think you can't !

Then you can tweak your ops if needed (for wcs or anything) then post

Here is a tiny video to show you how to cheat with Mastercam...

I've done this before, but if there are incompatible operations the new machine won't stick.. it just reverts back to the original machine def