Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High Feed Insert Cutters

I always end up having this conversation with the folks I work with. Is 90 minutes to long for those inserts? Sometimes I would argue that is too long and you aren't getting your moneys worth. I know some people who shoot for 20 minutes of life all the time. It's harder for me to justify 20 minutes of edge life when practically everything I program/make takes north of 20 hours to complete now a days and all the bosses want is for the tool to stay cutting, less tool change/index time.

Why is 90min too long? we use every edge. I agree if you run them too long and kill the inserts shame on you. however, run every edge as long as you can. Hell, I wish we could get 180min. Many of my jobs run 200hr or longer so yeah, to the limit and more power Scotty.

I meant that you should be able to crank the feed up to get less tool life but more cutting done. But yeah, when we are talking long cut times it is kind of silly to shoot for more tool changes. On some short run, quick cycle time jobs I will crank the feeds up to get the job done sooner.

I meant that you should be able to crank the feed up to get less tool life but more cutting done. But yeah, when we are talking long cut times it is kind of silly to shoot for more tool changes. On some short run, quick cycle time jobs I will crank the feeds up to get the job done sooner.

Yeah, I've asked every one to crank the pot where they can. However, my limiting factor is the machine or fixturing. My machines are all rather large and they start to do funny to do funny things with a 4in feedmill around 100ipm.

• Like 1