Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Aluminum slot

I have some .375 thick  6061 aluminum plates 31.3x24.5 that need drilled and a slot milled on one end. The slot is 3.3x7.1 and I have to use contour at full WOC to mill the slot as a cutout (its all our jig for this job will allow). the only cutter I have available for aluminum in the shop currently is a 1/2 3 flute carbide TiCN coated endmill for aluminum. I am curious as to what I could get away with for speed and feed, time is of the essence on this job. Workholding isn't a problem. The plate is clamped well, and so Is the loose piece produced by the cutout. Any info helps as I have very little experience machining aluminum. parts will be done on a Haas vf-9/50. Any suggestions regarding cutters would be great too, the owner is open to spending some money on the right tools as long as it in the right place.

Thanks, jeff

TiCN for aluminum?

Uncoated/Bright finish is ideally what you want.

I don't know how beefy your machine is, but I'd run it max rpm, full depth and whatever feed you can get away with.

$50 is a good price for these if you are able to convince the powers that be to buy one.

http://www.lakeshorecarbide.com/12squareendvariablefluteendmillforaluminumzrn.aspx

7500 rpm available. I will get one and give it a try. Thanks!