Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Capturing Programming time

Clayzer

I work as and IE in a rather unique fabrication shop.  We have production machines that use NC programs for the tool paths.  We also have machines that make emergent parts.  Parts that we will only see once or twice.   These machines are programmed by the CNC operator at that machine.  We have estimation systems to give us a best guess as to how long the part will take to run but we have no way of capturing how long our guys are programming at the machines.  Does anyone out there have a solution to this problem? 

Watcher, I could see with Cimco DNC and then have MDC and we can have them log in to setup as they are programming and setting up the machine. So now you have logged the operator and  Machine and the clock is running. now you are now logging the time. so when they hit the start on the machine the programming has ended and we have a time that is in the data base to bring up later. just quick thought. Now we are logging run times after that.

Watcher, I could see with Cimco DNC and then have MDC and we can have them log in to setup as they are programming and setting up the machine. So now you have logged the operator and Machine and the clock is running. now you are now logging the time. so when they hit the start on the machine the programming has ended and we have a time that is in the data base to bring up later. just quick thought. Now we are logging run times after that.

You got it!

If its like our shop and my experience else where I would program using a main program and my first sub would be enough to get going and get the machine running. Then I would program more subs in the background while it was making chips. All that to say I don't think you'll capture just the programming time without trusting the guys to keep a log and pray they do it accurately.