Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Generic 5 axis machining at c180 instead of c0

wdg5555

I have a part to machine that I can't access on the rotary without rotating it 180 degrees (Im hitting the x axis limit).
Is there any way using the generic 5 axis post and Mastercam to have the toolpath post out at C180 instead of C0 and of course change the x and y values with it.

For right now I am going to hand edit it so it comes out right. I tried rotating the tool plane and construction plane 180 degrees about Z but it still posted out at C0. Also tried the rotatary options in the toolpath.

To Bias the Primary, it should be 'mi4$', set to '180' to get the rotation.

Typically, this is only read at the Tool Change though. If you want to 'bias' at a 'Null' Tool Change, you need to enable the 'bias_null' switch inside the post itself...

Colin,

Does the type of cutting matter?

I have seen situations where the mi4 did as you say at the tool change and then seen it go right back to where it wanted to start all along......older post though

The path absolutely does matter, as the "starting vector" is evaluated. It's always hard to say, because it depends on so many things; is is Toolplane Based cutting (3+2) or Live 5X? How close is the starting vector to a travel limit? Is it a Drill Tool path, and 3X or 5X Drill? What are the Primary and Secondary Travel Limits?

Most of the time I've used the 'mi4' and 'mi5' controls to "pre-wind" 5X paths, so that the path could cut and allow crossing over zero, without causing an unwind move. For example, on a 5X Gantry Router with +-200 degrees of travel on the C Axis. If you start at C0, then you can only swing 200 degrees before you have to retract. Whereas if you pre-wind to C180 or C-180, then you can get 360+ degrees of travel before you hit the limit.