Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma U3000 Lower Turret "Safe" Position

I'm configuring an Okuma U3000/P300S post processor.

As I don't have access to the machine at the moment, can someone tell me what command format is used to "park" the lower turret close/under the main spindle for when the sub spindle is being used for part transfer/tailstock work?

Is it G20 HP=* (pre defined home position), or some other format?

You can have many predefined positions. You define them in the machine just like any other Okuma, Then you call their position and it goes to them. Normally on a 2 turret Okuma you will use 2 the most. Under the Left Spindle and Under the Right Spindle. Remember Okuma will index the turret when restarting so need to bring to the center position when restarting all programs. I would use a mi trigger to control this if you are using Lathe/Mill to program the machine. If you are using MT then you just use the turret park. Then you of course have to go to code expert and to all the sync codes.

Here is some sample code of a lower turret park for a U4000 with 300 control.

(OPERATION # 5)
(PARK LOWER TURRET )
N19880 G140
N19885 G00 X60.
N19890 G20 HP=8
N19895 P20
N19900 M01

Some more in different positions

(OPERATION # 20)
(PARK LOWER TURRET RIGHT SIDE)
N21710 G140
N21715 G00 X60.
N21720 G20 HP=8
N21725 P40
N21730 M01

(OPERATION # 22)
(PARK LOWER TURRET UNDER LEFT SPINDLE)
N21735 P50
N21740 M01
N21745 G140
N21750 T0800
N21755 G00 X60.
N21760 G20 HP=1
N21762 P55
N21763 (M01)
N21765 P60
N21770 (M01)

(OPERATION # 30)
(SEND LOWER TURRET HOME)
N21775 P70
N21780 M01
N21785 G140
N21790 G00 X60.
N21795 G20 HP=4
N21800 P80
N21805 M01
(END OF STREAM 2)
N21810 M02

I typically set up the lower turret for G20 HP=4 as the middle between spindles, G20 HP=1 for under main spindle for transfer, and G20 HP=8 for all the way to the right. I had the post folks at CNC modify my Mastercam MT set to output those G20 positions fro the three different turret park cycles as well as using G20 HP=4 for all home positions between tool changes. I set the upper G20 HP=4 to the middle as well. I also make sure to set the parameters to use movement order and set up X first and Z second on all G20 moves.  

I typically set up the lower turret for G20 HP=4 as the middle between spindles, G20 HP=1 for under main spindle for transfer, and G20 HP=8 for all the way to the right. I had the post folks at CNC modify my Mastercam MT set to output those G20 positions fro the three different turret park cycles as well as using G20 HP=4 for all home positions between tool changes. I set the upper G20 HP=4 to the middle as well. I also make sure to set the parameters to use movement order and set up X first and Z second on all G20 moves.  

Doug do you do a lot of below center milling on the main and sub? I was running into issues and found keeping them parked under either Spindle was the safest place to avoid problems. Only use the Center position for restarts.

Doug do you do a lot of below center milling on the main and sub? I was running into issues and found keeping them parked under either Spindle was the safest place to avoid problems. Only use the Center position for restarts.

I have found that the restart can be tricky depending on how you set up your program. Sometimes I just put the machine into individual mode and run through each turret separately to finish the part, or at least to get it to a good restart point for both turrets. I have not done a lot of below center milling but in what I have, I have had to watch the back of the H1 spindle for interference with the lower turret BMT blocks.