Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Non existant line number error

I'm trying to modify the generic fanuc 5X post to use for our router.

I opened an old file & replace the machine with my modified one. When I tried to code it I'm getting this error: "09 Dec 2016 12:48:16 PM - A line is too long in the post file. This condition makes it impossible to continue!
09 Dec 2016 12:48:16 PM - Line number - 9222"

But my post only has 2496 lines, Anyone know what might cause this?

With all of the 5X posts, there is a "binned" or encrypted section. The whole post, unencrypted, is about 10,000 lines of code.

When you run the post, MP DLL will unencrypt the encrypted portion of the post, and place it in front of your PST code. So it is likely that one of your PST lines is too long. Look for an equation where you are adding lots of string or variables together, or a long output post line. (Maybe you accidentally erased a CR/LF?)

I think the limit for a single line of MP code is 240 characters. As Zoober mentioned, look for lots of spaces at the end of a line.

If you are using Code Expert editor, you can go into the settings and turn on "white space". That will put a 'dot' character in place of every space. Look for any really long strings of spaces after a line in your post.

I believe the character limit includes comments. So you might have to separate a line into 2 lines...

This one is going to be hard to find. I thought of something you can try.

Create a new string variable. 'smy_test_str'.

Now somewhere in the middle of your post (on a post line, inside an existing post block), insert a string concatenation formula:

smy_test_str = "this is a test of the emergency broadcast system" + "it is only a test." + " If this were a real emergency, the sound you hear would be followed by instructions that the world is about to end, and that you should run to the nearest hill, mountain, or climb a tall tree, to avoid the oncoming invasion from a group of alien bears, that can kill you with one bite, or the swipe of a paw, but are also lazy, and hate moving uphill, and although they have mastered the art of interstellar space travel, inexplicably, they still cannot climb trees."

My point is to just build a line on purpose that will be longer than the max line length. Put it near the top of your post. If you get the exact same warning, it could be an issue inside the PSB file. If you get a new warning, hopefully it will give you an index to search from. If you get 'line number 8874, then you could basically count down a few hundred lines, move your long line concatenation, and try again. Through trial and error, you'll be able to track down the line with the problem.

• Like 1

Now somewhere in the middle of your post (on a post line, inside an existing post block), insert a string concatenation formula:

smy_test_str = "this is a test of the emergency broadcast system" + "it is only a test." + " If this were a real emergency, the sound you hear would be followed by instructions that the world is about to end, and that you should run to the nearest hill, mountain, or climb a tall tree, to avoid the oncoming invasion from a group of alien bears, that can kill you with one bite, or the swipe of a paw, but are also lazy, and hate moving uphill, and although they have mastered the art of interstellar space travel, they still, inexplicably, cannot climb trees."

My point is to just build a line on purpose that will be longer than the max line length. Put it near the top of your post. If you get the exact same warning, it could be an issue inside the PSB file. If you get a new warning, hopefully it will give you an index to search from. If you get 'line number 8874, then you could basically count down a few hundred lines, move your long line concatenation, and try again. Through trial and error, you'll be able to track down the line with the problem.

Good idea. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

smy_test_str = "this is a test of the emergency broadcast system" + "it is only a test." + " If this were a real emergency, the sound you hear would be followed by instructions that the world is about to end, and that you should run to the nearest hill, mountain, or climb a tall tree, to avoid the oncoming invasion from a group of alien bears, that can kill you with one bite, or the swipe of a paw, but are also lazy, and hate moving uphill, and although they have mastered the art of interstellar space travel, inexplicably, they still cannot climb trees."

Geez Colin - You're so xxxxing smart bro!

This is the mindset a world class applications engineer is supposed to have.

May sound obvious but it's not.

• Like 3

Geez Colin - You're so xxxxing smart bro!

This is the mindset a world class applications engineer is supposed to have.

May sound obvious but it's not.

Thanks Daniel. I like to think outside the box. Sometimes the results are great, other times I fail spectacularly, but I find that much joy can be found in the process of discovery itself. Knowledge seems more precious when you are aware of what it took to obtain it.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that the first error encountered with a line that is too long will cause the posting process to fail. That's the reason I suggested working from the top down in your post.

It still gives the same error, just changed the line to where I inserted the formula.

I was trying to use an old post, but I've decided instead to modify the generic Fanuc 5-axis post instead. So I no longer need to solve this issue.

Thanks so much for your assistance, it added another tool to my pouch. :thumbup: