Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Geometry Creation Method for Blending These Freeform Surfaces

huskermcdoogle

So I have a minor annoyance.  I am looking to create a tried and true method to alleviate this issue.  From a cutting perspective I can create a great toolpath.  One hitch, it runs slow on the machine because of sharp internal corners due to size of tool. Even a small radius (1-2mm) helps significantly to keep the rotary moving instead of stopping.  There isn't really anything I can do about the size of the tool, and I go in after and rest machine it with some surface blend paths, or sometimes pencil, but rarely, I can usually get better motion by manually determining where I need to cut.  I think if there is a good method to create these blends it would help me identify where I will need to rest machine as well.  I am sure it will help set me up for faster creation of rest machining geometry.  Smoothness of path is key as I try to keep moving between 10,000 and 20,000 mm per minute.

Sooo.  Anywho.  I think the answer is the create surface blends with a larger internal radius.

This is where I am weak, lazy, or both.  I need to gather some advice from the masters.   :unworthy: I have never been known to be lazy if I have a path to follow that will be successful, otherwise I will drag my feet and ponder too much.

Sample file attached.

I am looking to create a blend between blue and pink without violating green, my rough tool is an 80mm lolipop.  So I am thinking something like a 45mm radius would be a good place to start.  I am not looking for people to do this for me, just need to be led down a good path.

End_of_Part.mcam

No use it as a toolpath if you have the Multi-Axis capabilities and in there is the ability to morph between 2 curves over that green surface and avoid it all together, but have a nice blended spline between the 2 surfaces to allow your machine to run nice and not have to create any geometry to machine the example you posted up.

I like the K.I.S.S. method myself.