Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas Trunion Brakes

LaChaInSaW

Is It necessary to engage the break (M10-M12) on the A and B axis for positioning machining only ???

The VF4 with trunion I have, make always some small plastic piece and no effort is needed.

I want to release break on these axis to improve machining time. It's 5% losing time to engage and release break.

Is It ok to do machining without break ??

Thanks

I think it depends on how much wear you have in your trunion, and what the tolerance requirement is on the part.

Some of those trunion tables get pretty sloppy when there is a lot of wear, so I would be careful.

You could try removing the brake commands if you are willing to scrap a part and see how it affects the finished dimensions.  If everything is still in tolerance you will probably be ok.

Having said that, the little amount of time you gain may not be worth it.  Those axis brakes are there for a reason, so not using them may cause more wear on the machine.

I have no experience with Haas trunions, but from using other brands

I've found they repeat better with the braking applied.

If you're doing light work and getting the require repeatability, it's shouldn't be a problem,

but I would be more aggressive with my inspection routines till I was sure everything was OK 

1 hour ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

On mine the break engages and disengages automatically (2016 model VF-3SS with TR160Y) with every rotary positioning move.  I only turn it off if I'm going to do a live rotary cut.

^^YEP^^

any era Haas engages/disengages automatically. I usually just setup the post to output the M codes just the same, mostly so small live cuts don't bog machine down with all the locking/

I've turned off the brake to do index machining plenty of times and never have problems with location. I have a new VF3SSYT with well maintained trunnions - TR210, TR160, and a T5C.  It depends on equipment too, I would NEVER try it with a TR110; that thing sucked big time.

You should be fine, but be mindful of how much off-center cutting force is being applied to the axis.