Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

back cbores

jlw™

So for the most part back cbores are easy.  For small parts where you can use contour and create geo.  Quick and easy imo but not as easy as some other softwares I'm used to.

However, if you need to helical a really big one it gets arduous.  I have been creating a dummy plane 180 about X, create dummy helix bore path, xform geo, moving the geo and then running a 3d contour.

Now add in that I have to M19, offset, feed in, feed over, M03 it's getting painful.

What are your methods for back cbores that you have to helical mill?

MIll a helix, save geometry /////chain geometry

If I need a full cut around, I add a circle,,,,,,break the circle at the end of the helix, the while in chaining use the wait command, chain the helix then the circle

Edited by Guest

Well... it's your call.

For me it's easier and faster this way and less work. More control, one geometry shared by 2 toolpath. Plus what you will do when u want to change something ( ..like pitch etc...) and you have let's say 20 cbores....?

I've used those before, the countersink ones.  Wicked fast.

No, not exactly.  I needed to machine a 250H8 back cbore thru a 155mm hole.  I had to use a home made fly cutter tool with a lathe tool flipped over, orient spindle to M19S2700, drop in, move to center and nibble up.  Had 4x about 10mm each on one part.  Took about 6 hours to nibble it in.