Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mill stock model as lathe stock

Brian Pallas

So on jobs on a live tool lathe where I go back and forth between milling and turning, I will use the lathe stock update to get my turned stock, and use that for the start of a stock model for the milling ops as I am working through a program.

Is there a way to take that stock model and then use it for the lathe stock without creating a new machine group?  I would like to start with my bar stock and then somewhere in the middle of lathe operations, change what is being used as the stock, without affecting the previous lathe operations. 

Currently I always have to click past a bunch of errors when I regen lathe ops, which always makes me nervous that I might be skipping past an actual problem, and plus the backplot isn't accurate anymore.

I programme two large millturns, and I do not use lathe stock or the millturn add on, I use top wcs, set my stock as a revolved solid, and use the one stock through all turning/milling drilling operations. I have used this method for years and have had no problems with stock updates. I have attached a file to explain better, hope this helps !

R20740_OP2.mcam

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Got 2017 installed, and played around with the stock model on a few jobs now, and adding in the "create lathe stock boundaries" seems to work well and does what I was looking for.  Had been using X7, which didn't have that option, that I know of.  The new stock model makes it a lot easier :)