Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T What's up with IBM and Linux?

Harryman

There have been a ton of ads on TV lately where IBM is promoting Linux. Is IBM making a move on Microsoft? Seems to me that if IBM were to reenter the PC market in a big way with Linux operating systems, they could knock at least $100 off a new PC. If they could also market a Linux based suite of office applications, that is direct competition for MS Office, there goes another $200 off the price of a workstation for the typical office user.

Any thoughts?

Here's BILL... firebounce.gif

[ 02-01-2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Harryman ]

As much as I think that linux rules and is more efficient, I have an "Oh Great! Now on top of all the Bill's Bugs that are causing me grief, now I have to support something else." Its not that I'm not for progress, its just that alot of tech calls are windows related and have nothing to do with MC already. I use to work between windows and unix, with design using aliaswavefront on unix, engineers using pro/e on unix, and the programmers using MC on Dos then WINNT. banghead.gif AArgh!

I'm ranting mainly cause I've found out that VB.Net is what all the cool programmers are using now, and if I dont want to be left behind then I need to start learning it. (Not that I ever dropped my old Qbasic code and started using the "new" stuff VB offerred.

Jimmy teh Hey guys wait up.

I am the great Linux fan for many years from Minilinux to Red hat 4 and so on .

But in production Windows will rule for many years , IMHO .

Ibm from time when Microsoft curse.gif their OS/2

with Windows is the Microsoft worst enemy ,it supports Linux for many years and will support anyone who competite with Microsoft .

There are other big players 2

This is my private opinion and I stick to it .

Ps.When the hour will elapse disregard my post ,please

IBM and Microsoft have always had a love/hate relationship (mostly hate). IBM is big into enterprise computing with its workstations and servers. Those with big budgets usually go with IBM's AIX; it's a Unix. For other applications and budgets, they offer their servers and workstations with Linux. IBM is usually pushing the opposite technologies to Microsoft.

Microsoft -> Windows and .NET

IBM -> Linux and Java

quote:

Seems to me that if IBM were to reenter the PC market in a big way with Linux operating systems, they could knock at least $100 off a new PC. If they could also market a Linux based suite of office applications, that is direct competition for MS Office, there goes another $200 off the price of a workstation for the typical office user.

It's easy to totally DIY a low cost system with any help from IBM. Use Linux for the O/S, Mozilla for web/email and OpenOffice for an office suite; all open-source.

The reality is rather sad smile.gif

what do I have with Linux :

qcad (very basic )?

To run Mastercam through Vmware or wine ?

And Intellicad or Autocad ?

What about Solidworks ?

When big players will decide it`s time to port their stuff to Linux all will change in a day .

The same with Macintosh OSX.

It may be best in teh world ,but it`s great cost and limited user base are the cause ,that noone ports nothing to it (Cad/Cam).

Iskander teh sticky bit

I find it ironic that ten years ago most of the big cad/cam companies (UG, Pro/e, Catia) were all on unix and worked hard to port everything over to windows. Now linux has become a viable alternative to MS and there are no mainstream cad apps. I think all it takes is one major cad/cam company to put out a linux version and that would cause a major shift.

As far as IBM's advertising of linux - remember they are in the middle of a multi-billion dollar lawsuit with SCO over linux. Any exposure they can generate will help them out.