Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DMI Router Lost z position

Ok this is a new one to me with exception of some 1960's machines I have worked with.

I was machining on our dmi router today. new program so I checked depth of cut to z position several times (verify my zero setting) all was good. ran the part out took about 3 hours. then went back into production parts these are proven programs with org statement in program (like g10 on fanuc). first few parts were flat pattern and showed a little evidence of not breaking thru, I shrugged it off. next part had z sensitive features (esp. a wheel cut). scrapped the part and was headed for the second. I checked z setting, tlo etc.

I have been doing this long enough to know 99% of error is the guy in front of the control so I approached this as so. not the case here as far as I can tell.

finally set up an indicator to tool at set spot. zero referenced machine and z changed by .025. I suspect .0254 but did not check that close.

What gives?  the reason I suspect .0254 and it is a long shot but does this machine run metric encoder that reads .1mm? IDK. sure is suspicious.

We work in composites so it is a nasty dusty environment if that gives any one something to go on. optical encoders?

This is unexceptable in my books but need a root cause and solution. management wants me to remake the fixture, etc, etc. that is not going to solve a machine losing position.

input would be much appreciated.

Doug

thanks for the reply. we do not cut carbon? if that is what your saying. mostly fiberglass and composites there of. I am in aware of any external offset setting?

thanks for the reply and do educate me. I have 30+ years experience on various (mostly fanuc) machines but this one is very new to me.

I am leaning heavily towards a regular cleaning of resolver, encoder?? IDK I am new to the machine and materiel being cut.

this is for sure a humbling trade.

thanks again. Doug

Is it possible that the Z axis is being overloaded during a Z axis plunge cut

which causes the Z encoder to slip

I've seen the wafer created by a  plunge cut breaking though get stuck between the tool and fixture

The wafer can't be cut cause it's spinning with the tool.

On a strong machine, the tool blows up, on a weak machine, the encoder can slip

• Like 1