Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Active Reports - Tool Overall Length

CarbonCAD

Reading through the help files it lists OVERALL-LENGTH twice under [TOOL]

"OVERALL-LENGTH" - Overall length of tool (excluding holder)

"OVERALL-LENGTH" - Overall length of the tool.

The problem is that they both only give me the projection, and I need the actual length of the tool.

What am I doing wrong?

8 minutes ago, JoshC said:

I posted this question a while back on the Mastercam.com forums and Ruth with CNC software has a solution.

Hi, glad you did, was also looking for it to my setup sheet. I get the total lenght and i also have max and min z in my setup sheet.

The other thing i need now is the total lenght the tool can be used in example drilling, that is not the same as tool length. (AP), i know what i must just have not got to the task of doing more work on the setup sheet.

The active report setup sheet i have made is more for  special jobs, i really like the X+ setup sheet you can download here for standard production, the author of it can not get too many high fives for giving us this powerful tool in our toolbox!

Anyway, got the total length working as Ruth described in the post at Mastercam.com forum, and it was not a difficult thing to implement, if you need help of it get back and see if we can help further.

G

It worked fine until I put the script into my sheet and this:

GrapeCity.Active.Reports.ReportScriptException: Report Script Compile Error on line 38...

I get frustrated.  The help file is conflicting and why is there not a length of the tool (as in the previously posted pic) tag? 

Hi!

The procedure Ruth describe is the total length of the tool, including holder from base and with the stickout of the tool from the holder.

If you downloaded and implemented the file Ruth provided you should get a start for your own setup sheet. the 2 files is to the default version of setup sheet, and you replace the original ones with them and then work from there adjusting to your own needs, at least I did it that way. If you replace the original files and go into active reports designer on the script tab on the MILL-OPMGR sheet you will see the code that calculate the total length including holder.

In your setup sheet you then have to see that you have the DataField HOLDER-TOOL-LENGTH in your sheet. if not you should add it as that calculate the values in the script.

You need 3 datafields in setup sheet for your calculation:

TotalHolderLength

ToolProjection

HOLDER-TOOL-LENGTH

All of this is included in the sample file Ruth provided that you replace with the default ones.

This will at least give you the idea of where to start on your own setup sheet i guess.

-

But, what do you need the total length of just the tool for?

I use the holder and stickout length in my sheet and the tool shank are inside the holder gripped so i do not see the need for it in my sheet, i was just wondering what you used it for.

I include here 2 pdf files, one with the simple tool list as Ruth describe for the total length of holder and tool, i call that Assy.

and one with more detailed info, it is not finished as i need to clean it up heavily, still its what i have at the moment for you to maybe get an idea from.

If you provide your setup sheet maybe other can see and help you with the error you got, my tought of the error is that you are missing the 3 data fields or one or some of them and then get the error due to the calculations go wrong.

but if you only want the length of the tool then, this is not the right procedure and you should investigate further for a solution.

there is a datafield in the sst named  ../../TOOLS/TOOL/OVERALL-LENGTH

see if that helps you in any way

My setup sheet are in metric, if you wonder of the high numbers! 

TOOL LIST EXAMPLE DETAILED LISTING.pdf

TOOL LIST EXAMPLE SIMPLE LIST WITH TOTAL LENGTH INCLUDING HOLDER.pdf

Thank you.  I did not answer why I wanted this in the setup sheet.  We machine graphite and the tools are diamond or coated with diamond so that they maintain sizes under wear.  Some of the tools are very expensive.  I would like the information so that an operator doesn't use, for example, a tool that is two inches longer than necessary.  The tool definitely will work but costs 50% more.  On a related note, we are heavy on operators and light on machinists, so it changes the type and amount of information necessary.  It's not the operator's fault, but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

Hi!

Can you as a workaround use one of the fields: 

cutting length or shoulder length 

and set it as the same value as the overall length?

Then you can use the tag:  FLUTE-LENGTH or SHOULDER-LENGTH  for the total length of the tool and maybe get you trough for now.

It works for my 2017 setup, until new tags are available for you when you upgrade, in your setup sheet.

If you need the operators to know the actual flute length or shoulder length it is  maybe not the best solution, but at least an idea for now for you to consider.

G

• 2 weeks later...