Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

japanese files

kkominiarek

i have .dwg files from a customer.....i can translate the files and read dimensions....but the notes and title block are in japanese

does mastercam or solidworks have a japanese translator for dwg files?

if so....free or how much $$'s ?

i am trying to solve on my end first before i

ask the customer to tweak his settings.

i have solidworks 2004....mcam see below

We run into this all the time. We are in a joint venture with a Japanese company, while our main machine design builder is in Germany. Atleast German uses letters and not symbols, excluding ß ü ö etc.

You'll get no luck at Babelfish....unless you can type in Japanese. You can translate webpages in Japanese though.

This is the company we are in a JV with http://www.tpr.co.jp/

We have a translator on site here, one manager who speaks English and Japanese and one engineer who I thinks understands English but will not speak it.

We are also in a similar situation; we are a wholly owned subsidiary of a Japanese conglomerate and therefore I get a lot of stuff that is in Japanese. We used to have a translator full-time but she got downsized so now the boss man translates stuff for me or we tell Japan 'write it in English'.

I'd grab the Yellow pages. One problem, though, is that many translators screw up technical terms ['Datum' , 'Tolerance' , 'Surface Finish'] so you'll probably need to be there when the translation is being done.

Sorry

Always a good prank to pull on the guys in the shop, though; give them a Japanese drawing and say 'we need 2 of those by tonight or we're screwed' then see how long it takes for the guy to come back and say 'I don't think this is in English.'

C

[ 02-09-2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]