Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Inventor File Conversion?

scojireh

We just updated to Inventor 8.0 and now can't convert any *.ipt file into Mastercam. confused.gif We downloaded the "Jan04Inventor" zip file from the Mastercam website, but that did not work. Basically, when we try to import a part, we select the part we want and in the "Read Parameters" box, the scale option is blank where there is normally "CM to Inches" or whatever. Then we click "OK" and nothing happens. There is a blank screen. I have phoned our reseller and even tech support and no one can seem to figure this one out. Have any of you come across this problem before? I need help! banghead.gif

Thanks for your time.

Just a stab in the dark here, but did you download and install Design Assistant 8 also? We downloaded and installed everything and our engineers are using Inventor8 and they translate in with now problem. That patch is called DesignTracker8.zip and it is 33 mb's.

HTH

Greg

• 1 month later...

We found the problem. We had installed the correct updates, but all were from downloads off the web. We had our sales rep come and install SP2 from a disk, and then downloaded all the updates (from oldest up to the newest). This fixed our problems. However, the download for MP_v918 actaully caused incorrect posting, so we replaced both the new DLL and TXT files with our original ones. Now we can convert and the posting is correct. By the way, translating files from Inventor or Desktop to another format to bring into Mastercam may work, however, that is not a solution. I'm experiencing similar problems now with Desktop files (see other posts by me), and I see no reason why we should have to translate to another format. There should be no problem to simply translate straight over from AutoDesk to Mastercam.

I went thru the same problems your having. Once you have all you updates etc. everything will work fine with out using another format. Just some fine tuning. Our design dept. is using only Mech. Desktop and Inventor so I know what your going throught. Do you have inventor 8 on your system? If so you need to open It just one time after you install it. If not MC converter won't work. Good luck and be patient.

Keep at 'em Scojireh! biggrin.gif

We have, & still are, dealing with the same issues you have had with Inventor & Mech.Desk2004. banghead.gif

Hi OPPIZ, smile.gif

Does your design dept. have Mech. Desktop2004?

(For more info on this see Scojirah's post about Mechanical Desktop a few days ago.)

I have both MDT 2004 and Inventor loaded on my computer, however, the machinists in the shop have niether, so now they have to come and get me to convert MDT files when they need to do so. Our Inventor works on both computers (Design Tracker is installed on the shop computers).

Well,

I have been successful at this task...you must make sure all ucs's in invetor are set to 0,0,0 and your part orientation is set correctly well the face you want to mill anyway. I found this in both Inventor and Autocad Mech, As well the AutoCad files had to be saved as AutoCad 2000 format.......just a guess ite worked for me.

+1 dinoracer. smile.gif

I think the problem is somewhat like reading SolidWorks files in MC. I always save SW models in parasolid and import it in MC. No problem.

Although MC isn't parasolid but the same should go to Inventor by saving as ACIS, if it's still ACIS based.

But after seeing many problems regarding reading SW models, I'm guessing I missed something. headscratch.gif

Is there any real advantage in reading native Inventor or SW files? Could it be associativity with SW/Inventor native files?